FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Help for a Peanut Allergy scientific paper  (Read 1578 times)

Description:

Offline tiamig

Help for a Peanut Allergy scientific paper
« on: April 15, 2016, 06:00:39 AM »
Hello!
I'm a Pharmacy PhD student doing a paper on Peanut Allergies and we are doing a survey to accompany the paper.
It's really quick (2-3 minutes) and it would greatly help us on our research!

Here's the link : https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1xQa9RUe0gfl6XzxPJC2htaopiuBmBh7lXlL8CGpXTik/viewform

Thank you for your cooperation!

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: Help for a Peanut Allergy scientific paper
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 06:43:25 AM »
One of the most amazing things pharmacists could do to help people with food allergies is to have a policy against eating in the work area and instituting strict hand washing with soap after eating.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 06:47:11 AM »
Also on your survey, there is a difference between being hospitalized and going to the ER.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline tiamig

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 11:09:54 AM »
Hello Macabre,
No, we consider it the same thing in the survey! Maybe we could think about changing the question.

A little more info...
We are based in Europe and we hope the paper will bring awareness for peanut allergies since there is very little information available here. Many countries here are not really prepared to handle a peanut allergy situation, be it at schools, restaurants, or even pharmacies and hospitals!

Offline lakeswimr

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 03:37:27 PM »
In the USA going to the ER or to the hospital is different than being admitted or hospitalized.  Going to the ER or to the hospital implies you go there and are there for a period of time.  If the person has to be admitted or hospitalized they are moved from the ER into the hospital and stay usually at least overnight.  Typically a food allergic reaction is monitored from 4 - 6 hours in the USA in the ER (or less, even though that is not recommended).  It is unusual for a food allergic reaction to require being hospitalized or admitted to a hospital.  That would mean the reaction was very, very severe.  So, I do agree that the wording should be updated to reflect current best practices in treating anaphylaxis. 

Offline tiamig

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 06:09:02 PM »
Noted and changed !