FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Middle School Accommodations?  (Read 3406 times)

Description:

Offline Treasure

Middle School Accommodations?
« on: May 02, 2016, 10:35:43 PM »
Hi all, it's been awhile since I have visited.

I would love some advice.

We just learned what public middle school my son was accepted into for the fall, and I have absolutely no idea what are reasonable accommodations, if any. My kid has severe allergies to pn/ some tn/ shellfish, milder (but still very uncomfortable) allergies to some fruits, and dairy. He also has EoE triggered by these same IgE allergies (dairy being the worst). His new school has a tradition of "lunch crews" where you sit with the same kids a few times a week. Your "crew" are kids who share the same adviser, so kids have no choice in who is in their crew. I love this idea, but am unsure about how to approach the administration about how to manage food allergies around it. My kid can sit near a kid eating his allergens (as long as they are not emitting steam  ;) ), but will react if a kid touches him after eating. He has been hospitalized in the past when he was playing with a friend after his friend ate peanut butter (the kid's finger got near my kid's mouth). However, that was in first grade. He has since been very careful, and very aware of his food allergies, and does not seem too shy about it. I think it would be fine to sit at a table with other kids eating his allergens, as long as he was not sitting next to a kid eating pn/tn. I guess I am not sure how, when, or in what manner to approach this, without making my kid feel like he has an overprotective mom.

Also, he'll be ok in middle school...right?   :)

Thanks so much.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 10:52:16 PM by Treasure »

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: Middle School Accommodations?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 11:01:39 PM »
I think we have a few threads that could help. I'll see if I can find some.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Treasure

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 11:04:56 PM »
Thanks so much!

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 11:17:56 PM »
Re: 504 Meeting Prep--Middle School Transition

Allergic Teens feel unsafe at school

We do have a number of MS threads. I just can't find them right now. So sorry!

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 11:21:30 PM »

Offline Treasure

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 11:25:39 PM »
Wonderful! Thank you!

Offline Treasure

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 03:54:08 PM »
Thanks so much, Macabre. I used some of this info as a guideline and spoke to the school today. It was helpful, because some of the things had not occurred to me. Like, that they might do a science experiment with food. The school was very supportive. He does not have an extensive 504, because he has an IEP. The school said that they would not do any projects with food in his classes, and would alert me of any food brought in for any celebration, etc. They would also make sure to keep his serious allergens out of the classrooms.

Feeling  much relief.

Offline ajasfolks2

• Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2016, 08:14:12 AM »
I am sure this is mentoned in one of those threads, but wanted to alert you to the "Grab and Go" and other breakfast programs that might be at your child's middle school (and high school).  Some schools have the breakfast only served in cafeteria.  However, many schools do this as a brown bag offering to grab and go to class / homeroom with.  Be sure youcheck this out, especially if one of the staple foods in these is a concern for you.  (For us some years back in another county they pulled the PBJ off the offering just for our son's school.)

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline Treasure

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 11:26:09 AM »
Thanks, ajasfolks2!

I know they serve breakfast, but am not sure about that. I will ask. The guidance counselor had told me that they would not have any of the foods he is severely allergic to in the classrooms as an accommodation for him. We are in NYC, and the city will not pull peanut butter from the city menu, so there will be pb&j served in the school, but they will keep that, shellfish and tree nuts out of the classrooms. At lunch, at this school, they have a program where the kids sit with the same "lunch crew". They will make sure that students eating pb&j not be seated next to him/ wash hands, etc., there will be no loose peanuts at his table (he reacts from the airborne dust), etc. Luckily, he got into a school (as you have to apply to middle schools here, no zoned school) that seems to be really accommodating and aware of food allergies. I'm so relieved.