FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Allergy-Friendly Restaurants in the Boston Area  (Read 16375 times)

Description:

Offline GoingNuts

Allergy-Friendly Restaurants in the Boston Area
« on: July 17, 2016, 12:07:17 PM »
DS will be moving in about 2 weeks, so I thought I'd ask here for some recommendations.  This is SOAK, after all.  ;)
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline MaryM

Re: Allergy-Friendly Restaurants in the Boston Area
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 01:11:20 PM »
There is a Burton's Grill outside of Boston.  They are very good with food allergies.

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 05:51:40 PM »
Burton's Grill - multiple locations in MA
Legal Seafood
Bertucci's

Cakes by Erin in Haverhill is pn/tn free

Flatbread Pizza...they do have sesame oil in their salad dressing, but can order oil and vinegar that is brought to the table.  Will cook pizza on foil in the pizza oven.  I think there are some locations in MA.

Twist Cafe in Millis, MA

I've heard good things about this place...
https://www.facebook.com/jenniferleesgourmetbakery/?fref=ts

I think there is also a bakery in Danvers, MA that is safe.

I posted on my NH allergy mom's group to see if anyone has any other suggestions, will post if I get any.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 06:38:07 PM »
Thanks Mary and Hezz!
N.E. US

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 04:48:44 AM »
Not Your Average Joe's was suggested on my NH allergy site, as well as Ming's Blue Ginger. 

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 06:04:26 AM »
Oh, he is really excited about Blue Ginger.  Not having Chinese food bugs him more than anything else.  :)
N.E. US

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2016, 09:38:31 AM »
Chef Ming is amazing!

Really, anywhere we eat is good about allergies.....training required by law has made changes for the better.  Even our local hole in the wall places including Mexican are good.  I still won't trust a food court though.

If he doesn't mind - chef's cards are always appreciated and make everything so much easier for the staff.  We just print our own so they can stay with the order in the kitchen and do not need to be returned.

If he wants a chain type place - Cheesecake Factory and Legal top our list and top prices too.  TGI Fridays, 99's and Joe's American Bar and Grill are good and DD goes to UNO with her friends and is treated well.  We love burgers at the MET Bar and Grill!

And Twist is OMG!  It is gluten free and expensive....but oh so very very good!  I've had lunch and breakfast as well as buying way to many bakery yummies!

Chef Ming is the best!  I have had the pleasure of meeting him and of attending a cooking demo he did as a fundraiser.

Because of DD's garlic allergy, Bertucci's has very few options for DD and the 3 locations we tried were even put out at serving her pasta with butter and a salad without croutons, but the Chateau is Italian and they have always been really really good!  and very careful!

There really are many choices!

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 10:48:12 AM »
Not Your Average Joe's is our favorite family place, but they are good for adult dining and drinks as well. 

I am not sure about the very specific area where your ds will be living, but in general, there are many smaller independent eateries that students frequent in that general area, so it may be a case by case discovery process.  Lots of Irish pub places around and I find them to be pretty good about allergies, in general, as the cuisine is not typically nutty.  But there is the sesame issue with breads.
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2016, 12:01:35 PM »
Thanks Becca!

PC, somehow I missed your post. Thank you!

I'm going to print out this thread to give to him.
N.E. US

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2017, 10:29:23 AM »
http://boston.citymomsblog.com/motherhood/allergies-boston-restaurants-eat-families/

This was just posted on my NH allergy group so thought I'd share.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2017, 10:35:01 AM »
Thanks Hezz, Just sent him the article.  :)
N.E. US

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2017, 08:05:37 AM »
Blue Ginger is closing, and Ming will be opening up a different restaurant somewhere else.

https://boston.eater.com/2017/4/18/15338890/blue-ginger-closing-wellesley-ming-tsai

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2017, 08:11:50 AM »
https://www.cakes4occasions.com/

So I drove to this place this past weekend to get cookies and brownies for the two swimmers with food allergies so they could have dessert at the swim banquet.  The cookies and brownies were prepackaged in clam shell type plastic so not sure how fresh they really were.  I picked up a couple cannoli because DS has never had them before.  He thought they were great, I've had better but it wasn't a bad cannoli.  There were lots of items to pick from in the case so I will take DS back so he can pick out some stuff to try.

Offline tigerlily

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2017, 07:29:32 PM »
I saw this thread and didn't see this gem of a nut-free bakery on the list. I visited with family on a trip--wonderful! The staff was fantastic and really patient as DS 1 had so many choices and only had previously visited a nut-free bakery in Michigan before.

Blacker's Bakeshop (closed Saturday)

http://www.blackersbakeshop.com/
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 07:31:35 PM by tigerlily »
DS1-PA, TNA, SFA
DS2-NKA

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2017, 01:19:38 AM »
Thanks Tigerlily!  He goes to school in Newton.  :thumbsup:
N.E. US