login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Newly diagnosed with severe seed & nut allergy, trying to figure out how to eat  (Read 5318 times)

Description:

Offline LucyTwoShoes

Hi there. In July I started waking up with massive hives every morning. My lip swelled a couple times. I had no idea what was causing it and it took weeks to determine that it's nuts and seeds. I have an epipen and an appointment with an allergist, and in the meantime am avoiding all nuts and seeds. I'm sure of cashews, sunflower (including oil), and sesame. Pecan is probably on the list, and possibly peanut.

Avoiding nuts isn't that hard but avoiding sunflower seems nearly impossible. I'm reading labels and trying to find foods that are safe. I want to get all the allergen foods out of the house so I can stop waking up with hives and puffy lips. I've replaced my cutting boards and run all of my measuring cups and utensils through the dishwasher multiple times. Replaced my cast iron pizza pan too, since even traces are a problem for me.

Going to the grocery store sucks. I see walls of poison everywhere I go, and very few options outside of the produce area. I'm a longtime vegetarian, so my food choices are very limited now, with all the commercial meat-alternative foods off-limits.

Glad to find the forum. Hoping to get tips on safe foods.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 12:15:03 PM by LucyTwoShoes »

Offline PurpleCat

Welcome!  Like many other things, it's always harder at the beginning!  You will adjust and it will become your lifestyle.

I'm glad you are going to see an allergist.

My daughter has many food and environmental allergies, sunflower is one of them.  Some food allergies can be related to other foods found in the same botanical family so there may be "cousins" causing you problems too.  Once the allergist can review your history as well as do some testing, things should become clearer.

Check your cosmetics, shampoos, conditioners, soaps, moisturizers, etc..... as well as food sources.

I say "should become clearer" because allergies and allergy testing is not black and white.  History of reactions will always trump testing results.

Glad you found us!

Offline spacecanada

Stick to very pure whole foods: fruits, vegetables, tofu, beans, lentils, rice, quinoa, etc.  Absolutely nothing processed.

After a reaction you may also react to things you aren't actually allergic to.  It may take some time after eliminating your allergens and sticking to the lowest risk foods possible to find normal again.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline LucyTwoShoes

Thanks, PurpleCat. I have to admit, I have concerns about going to the allergist and being told I don't actually react to something that I do react to. It's all so hazy.

That's good advice, spacecanada. I've been sticking with fruit, veggies, and dairy, mostly. Made the mistake of having some plain pasta with an alfredo sauce that didn't have nuts or seeds or glycerin or anything that makes me burst into hives and swollen lips. But it appears that annatto (which is the stuff that makes cheddar orange) comes from something that is either a seed or a nut, depending on the source. So I'm done with just about everything premade. Too many hidden sources. I'm worried about beans, since they can be cross-reactive. It's a good thing dairy and soy are fine for me. As a vegetarian, I don't know what else I'd do for protein.