Instant Pot!

Started by becca, August 20, 2016, 05:25:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BensMom

Hmm, the evaporated milk trick sounds interesting. The recipe I have that I really like does have that bechamel sauce he talks about, so if just using evaporated milk could replace that, that would be so much easier.

Macabre

I use evap milk in my sow cooker Mac and cheese, and it works well!
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

GoingNuts

^^ I think I'll have to try this when DS is home.   :happydance:
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

hezzier

GoingNuts

"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

becca

dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

hezzier

ok, so seemed like the pot had trouble sealing so I should have shortened the time a little bit. 

I used a pound of pasta, 1 green pepper, 1 red pepper, 1 zucchini, 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes, 28 oz water...somewhere in there I forgot to double the spices (probably could have tripled them) so was bland and pasta was a little over cooked, but I would make this again.  Will be super easy to reheat for the kid's dinner tomorrow...just throw some extra parmesan on and it will be fine.

becca

Seems like it could take extra veggies too, unless you are trying to hide them in there.
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

hezzier

Agreed, there was plenty of room for more.  You could skip the minced onion and put in a whole diced onion.  Or whatever other veggies that you like.

BensMom

I had an IP fail last night. I didn't have high hopes honestly. It was a chicken teryaki recipe that didn't really seem like it had been properly modified for the IP or for brown rice, even though it gave instructions. So I had mushy carrots and peppers and the broccoli pretty much just disintegrated. And the proportions were way off. I doubled the rice, but not the sauce and it was still way too saucy. I had to make extra rice to mix in with it.

I think I'm going to try mac and cheese tonight, even though I should probably cook something foolproof after last night's dinner.

BensMom

Mac and cheese was a win! Still have to grate all the cheese, but the rest was so much easier.

hezzier

BensMom

I need to start writing down recipes. I've just been looking stuff up online and getting the basic measurements and time, but then I can't remember and have to look it up again--like with steel cut oats.

Later in the week (or next week depending on how we're doing with leftovers) I'm going to try a lentil and brown rice recipe.

I'm also planning a creamy chicken and orzo dish that I make in a pot, but might try to adapt for the instant pot because I'm really loving this not boiling a big pot of water thing.

SilverLining

I'm pretty sure Kanata is where the original e-belt was created too. Must be something in the water.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview