FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Instant Pot!  (Read 132296 times)

Description:

Offline GoingNuts

Re: Instant Pot!
« Reply #60 on: January 08, 2017, 08:25:33 AM »
I think I read somewhere that they really only recommend it for white rice?  I'd like to cook brown basmati rice in it.  It takes so darned long on the stove.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #61 on: January 08, 2017, 09:13:06 AM »
I've done brown rice.  Any rice I do seems to come out sticky, which is fine for me and dd, but dh likes fluffy rice.  I have not figured that out.  Maybe pot in pot?
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2017, 10:45:42 AM »
I think if you use the water:rice ration on the bag you can cook any type of rice.  If the rice setting itself doesn't work, manual should.  (The cookbook actually suggests manual mode for brown rice.)

We love sticky rice too, which is why we converted to sushi rice.  Maybe try less water for fluffy rice?
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline momma2boys

• Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: January 08, 2017, 10:53:06 AM »
Gn, brown basmati turns out perfect! The jasmine was a little sticky, but basmati, perfection! I do 1 cup of rice to 1.25 cups water on high pressure for 22 minutes then quick release. I sometimes throw a little chicken bouillon in the water too.
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2017, 11:54:11 AM »
Good to know.

Guess who's trying a cheesecake today?  ;D
N.E. US

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #65 on: January 08, 2017, 12:46:26 PM »
Okay question--when it takes longer to cook something in the IP than without one, what is the advantage to using thr IP? I can cook hard boiled eggs in less time than the IP takes and with less fiddling. I do not have a problem peeling warm eggs that aren't too fresh.

Also in another thread stinky mentioned cooking a frittata that takes me 20 minutes to do from scratch (chopping veggies, sautéing then popping under the broiler--one pan).

So what's the advantage there? (With the frittata, Stinky already had some precooked veggies and I believe was able to just plop everything in the IP and leave it alone for half an hour--so the advantage there might be not having to fiddle with anything.)

But if it takes longer and is as much or more work, what advantage is it to use the IP (for a specific dish, not in general)?
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #66 on: January 08, 2017, 03:00:34 PM »
Not everything takes longer.  I just baked a cheesecake in 1/2 hour  :happydance:, and right now I have a broccoli-leek soup going that will only take 6 minutes of cooking time. 

For me a major advantage is that I don't have a double oven, so I can have one thing going in the Instant Pot, while something else is going on the stove.  Very helpful on Sundays when I'm trying to cook ahead for the week and make the best use of my time. 

I'll let y'all know how the cheesecake turns out, once it has chilled and set.  The texture looks perfect.
N.E. US

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #67 on: January 08, 2017, 03:25:00 PM »
I assume most things actually take a LOT less time than they would conventionally.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Stinky10

« Reply #68 on: January 08, 2017, 03:42:31 PM »
I thought the whole hard cooked egg thing was silly until I did it

It was quicker and foolproof

add water, put eggs in

set to 2 mins manual

until you remember to take them out....

eggs perfect!

I really want to try the pot in pot method - I see so many people posting about rice failures that I've just been doing it in my rice cooker

I want to do a whole chicken today....we lost power for a while....so not sure of the rest of the day
Spanking cats for 40 years!

Offline momma2boys

• Global Moderator
« Reply #69 on: January 08, 2017, 03:58:59 PM »
Mac, some are faster, some are better tasting, and a lot of it is not having to watch it, stir, add ingredients. Just throw it in and done.

Cheesecake is SO creamy!
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #70 on: January 08, 2017, 04:11:34 PM »
Well, the cheesecake would have been terrific, had I not, er, dropped it in the kitchen sink:rant: :banghead:  :tongue:

I was removing it from the cooling rack to place in the fridge, when my sleeve caught on the spring-thingy, and released the darned cake.  It just plopped right into the kitchen sink. 

I did taste a spoonful, and it was dreamy.  I'm always going to use Greek Yogurt from now on.  Perfect flavor, and the texture was to die for.

DS is going to be very disappointed when he gets home. :hiding:
N.E. US

Offline momma2boys

• Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2017, 05:21:50 PM »
Oh no!!!!!  :'(
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

Offline nameless

« Reply #72 on: January 08, 2017, 05:31:37 PM »
You all are making me want to get an InstaPot!

I have ~$200 in Amazon credit from Christmas gifts, a work survey reward, and Visa card rewards. More than enough for an InstaPot *and* a bread machine!

(((I'm still deciding)))
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline Stinky10

« Reply #73 on: January 08, 2017, 08:43:50 PM »
whole chicken in there now

when it comes out the spaghetti squash goes in

already did about 15 eggs > bringing them in for the boys in the office

as for not stirring and adjusting and babysitting......yeah that's really cool I like it EXCEPT that you can't adjust as you go - I cook differently - a little of this, a little of that, oh there's an orange here.....I'll add the juice...oh it's too salty - throw in some potatoes..and you can't do that in the pot - but I think I just need to think about it a little more and season accordingly - also there is no evaporation so you do need to season more than you would because nothing reduces.
Spanking cats for 40 years!

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #74 on: January 08, 2017, 09:04:54 PM »
How did you do the whole chicken?
N.E. US