FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Instant Pot!  (Read 132532 times)

Description:

Offline SilverLining

Re: Instant Pot!
« Reply #330 on: November 28, 2017, 10:25:30 AM »
Yesterday it was cheaper than the others for cyber Monday. I ordered, but no delivery date because it is currently out of stock.

This is how we do Christmas. We pick out our own gifts...that way we are sure to like them.  :hiding:

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #331 on: November 28, 2017, 11:24:54 AM »
Nothing wrong with that, we do it all the time.

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #332 on: November 28, 2017, 02:45:44 PM »
Me too!  I got myself a robotic vacuum!  It was not a roomba, but another brand, 50%off.
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #333 on: November 28, 2017, 03:21:58 PM »
My roomba arrived today!

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #334 on: November 28, 2017, 03:30:16 PM »
My roomba arrived today!

Mine is from econovavcs.  Over 1400 reviews and 82% 4-5 stars.  We’ll see.

Offline BensMom

« Reply #335 on: November 29, 2017, 09:14:56 AM »
I got my Instant Pot last night. This morning I did the steam thing and then did some hard boiled eggs. I guess you just look online for everything--I was expecting more from the users manual. It has an egg button, but had no instructions about putting the eggs on the rack, adding water, etc. So I had to look online. Some of the instructions said to use the manual button, one said use the steam function. I used the Egg button. It's a little confusing.

I got the 5 qt and I'm a little worried because no one seems to get that one. In fact it's a Lux model and under FAQs on the IP website it says the lux model comes in 3, 6, and 8 quart. It doesn't even mention the 5 quart. It's like the 5 quart is the forgotten step-sister. I wonder if I'll have trouble adjusting recipes to the size. The size looks pretty good, but it says not to fill it too full, so we'll see.

Where do you set up your pot? It's on my counter and the steam is going right onto my cabinets. I turned it so the steam button is away from the cabinet, but then I can't see the display. I suppose I could put it on the island, but it seems in the way there. What do you guys do?

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #336 on: November 29, 2017, 09:54:51 AM »
It’s on my island when I use it. I store it in my pantry closet.

Offline BensMom

« Reply #337 on: November 29, 2017, 10:53:42 AM »
Yeah, storing it is the other thing. I don't have a pantry. I can fit it in my pot cabinet, but then it's hard to get other stuff out. I have a tea cart in the dining room. I'm just going to store it there for now. I have a cabinet where it could go if I can figure out where to put some other stuff. I usually don't buy something until I know where it's going to live.

I made more eggs so dh can make egg salad. One cracked in the pot. It's still mostly together in an egg shape, but kind of weird. I set it aside and he can decide if he wants it.

Off to find a recipe for dinner tomorrow. (Having leftovers tonight.)

Offline BensMom

« Reply #338 on: November 29, 2017, 10:58:50 AM »
For the chili lime chicken, it doesn't look like it has any liquid added, but I thought the IP manual says to always add some liquid when pressure cooking (and that sauce like bbq sauce or marinara doesn't really count--you need water.) So...no liquid?

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #339 on: November 29, 2017, 11:13:38 AM »
We also use ours on the island and store it when not in use.  My sister had a ton of beets from her winter CSA so DH made beet salad...took him 3 rounds in the IP to get them all cooked.

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #340 on: November 29, 2017, 12:40:47 PM »
Bensmom, with the chili lime chicken, I rinse chicken, and in this case, I don’t dry it.  Then you’ve got the lime juice.  The chicken releases juices, and it seems to work out to be enough liquids to come to pressure.  There is then a nice amount of liquid to put it back into, and keeps it moist.

Don’t worry about the cracked egg that looks mostly ok.  Those are fine for egg salad or eating.

Offline BensMom

« Reply #341 on: November 30, 2017, 09:25:47 AM »
My steel cut oats didn't really work right. How do you guys do it? I looked up recipes and used 1 cup of oats and 2.5 cups of water (I saw ratios of 1 cup oats to 2-3 cups water) and cooked for 10 minutes. It was really watery and I had to put it back on for 5 or 6 more minutes. I've seen recipes for cooking for only 5 minutes. What works? After the 2nd round of cooking, it was fine, but I'd like to find the right formula.

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #342 on: November 30, 2017, 11:45:13 AM »
I haven’t done steel cut before but did the first thing I thought of was did the vent seal properly?

Offline BensMom

« Reply #343 on: November 30, 2017, 01:38:02 PM »
I think so. I haven't used the pot much, so I'm not sure what's supposed to be happening, but it seemed to be the same as when I cooked eggs.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #344 on: November 30, 2017, 03:25:35 PM »
I did 1:3 for 10 minutes,  NPR. 
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US