FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Instant Pot!  (Read 132187 times)

Description:

Offline BensMom

Re: Instant Pot!
« Reply #345 on: November 30, 2017, 03:39:20 PM »
Hmm, so my 1:2.5 for 10 minutes should have worked. I let it sit for more than 10 minutes afterwards. I guess I'll have to play around with less water or more time.

Offline BensMom

« Reply #346 on: December 01, 2017, 08:10:28 AM »
I made the chili lime chicken everyone talks about. It was good. A little salty even though I used less salt than the recipe calls for. DH and I are still trying to figure out if the IP is worth it. I could have made the chicken on the stove or in the crock pot. There are times when I'm making something for dinner that takes a long time and I don't realize how early I have to start cooking and then we eat late, so it's nice that things cook fast, but for the most part, I'm able to spend time cooking I'll have to fool around with more recipes and see. I have some recipes (nothing I can think of offhand at the moment) that seem to take a lot of pots and dishes. It would be interesting to see if they could be modified for the IP and made easier.

Offline BensMom

« Reply #347 on: December 01, 2017, 09:02:23 AM »
Also, that silicon ring really smells now. I'm going to run it through the dishwasher. I know people have talked about getting a second one to cook sweet things, so I knew it might hold some odor, but it really smells.

Offline MaryM

« Reply #348 on: December 01, 2017, 09:11:43 AM »
Yup - my ring smells like shredded chicken tacos even after running it through the dishwasher.  I need to order a few more rings.

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #349 on: December 01, 2017, 10:54:50 AM »
It smells worse after doing stock in it!
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #350 on: December 01, 2017, 12:40:45 PM »
Lots of people order the colored rings on amazon, red for savory, blue for sweet.  We never had an issue of it imparting flavor into a savory item.  We haven't used the IP for anything sweet yet.

Offline BensMom

« Reply #351 on: December 02, 2017, 12:36:35 PM »
I read that you can get the smell out by putting 2 cups of vinegar in the IP and steaming for 2 minutes. Now my house smells like vinegar and my sealing ring still smells like chili lime chicken.  :-/  At least I can no longer smell it from halfway across the room.

I'm going to give this thing til July. If I don't think it's useful by then, I'll ship to to ds in CA, who by then will have a place to live that he's going to stay at for more than 5 months.

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #352 on: December 02, 2017, 12:48:36 PM »
That is a good plan, Bensmom, lol.  It's not for everyone, and I found that some things are a learning curve. 

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #353 on: December 02, 2017, 06:11:29 PM »
Perfect IP chicken tonight, not over cooked!  I had a 6 pound organic Nature’s Promise whole chicken, rinsed, put on trivet in IP, breast up.  Tight fit.  Heavily seasoned, inside and out.  About 3/4c broth in bottom, it was just what was in my fridge.  Poultry setting, 22 minutes, and 10 NPR.  Might have been 15, we were watching something, and I released it after show was over, but in that range.  It was perfect.  Moist, but not over cooked.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #354 on: December 03, 2017, 07:48:59 AM »
Oooh, I might try that for tonight.  Need some plain eating after eating out 3x this weekend.  That plus some steamed veggies and a sweet potato might just hit the spot. 
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #355 on: December 03, 2017, 08:12:56 AM »
Thought this comparison sheet might be helpful for any9ne looking to buy an IP

https://instantpot.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Instant-Pot-Product-Comparison-Nov-27-2017.pdf

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #356 on: December 03, 2017, 08:15:08 AM »
I see mine does not have the chicken setting. Will I still be able to cook chicken in it?

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #357 on: December 03, 2017, 08:32:34 AM »
Yes, just do manual setting for the desired time.  A smaller chicken would need a bit less time.6 pounds is about the max that fits in my pot, and on a shorter trivet than the one that came with the pot.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #358 on: December 03, 2017, 09:48:35 AM »
Thank you becca.

Chicken is one of the main things I want to try.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #359 on: December 03, 2017, 05:00:10 PM »
I’ll let you know how mine comes out.  I oiled and seasoned the outside and under the skin. Seared it, removed it and sautéed some mirepoix.  Put the trivet in, put the chicken in breast side up, poured in some broth, poultry setting for 25, NPR (which should be done in a few minutes).  Oh, and I stuffed the cavity with some onion and herbs.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US