Instant Pot!

Started by becca, August 20, 2016, 05:25:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stinky10

I haven't tried a stew b/c veggies will turn to complete mush in 2 mins so I don't understand any of the recipes that have them put in from the start

ok wait - stew means the meat is cut up small - hmmm ok

I'm thinking more like a pot roast - with veggies

as for Burn - I've never gotten that but I've read a million posts about it and it's not just the amount of liquid - but the thickness -  tomato sauce actually acts like a solid liquid when it heats - think of the big bubbles you'll get in a saucepan - you really need thin liquid for it to work.  At least on the bottom.
Spanking cats for 40 years!

YouKnowWho

Researching Instant Pots again - is there any reason to get the yogurt function?  Would I use that function to cook other foods?  I get once you have IP yogurt, you won't go back but I can't get the majority of my family to eat yogurt unless it glows in the dark.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

GoingNuts

I was thinking of making yogurt with it, but when I saw how much work was involved, I changed my mind.  ~)  That said, you can also proof bread using the yogurt function.  I don't know what else you can do with it.

Sooo....

I made IP Mac and Cheese today, using the recipe posted a few pages back.  It is delicious, but...  It foamed up way too much, and when I did the quick release specified in the recipe, it sprayed foam all over the place.  I used my 6 quart pot, and 16 ozs. of macaroni, 4 cups liquid.  I also had to drain off some of the liquid when it was done.  I'm wondering if next time I shouldn't do 3 minutes on high pressure, followed by 5 minutes NPR and then release the rest of the pressure, instead of 4 minutes on high pressure, followed by QPR?   Anyone have any advice?

I didn't have evaporated milk, so I used Fairlife 2%.  It is absolutely delicious, but I think I'd add a little more hot sauce next time.  And maybe a drop of smoked paprika.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

hezzier

I have started to cover the valve loosely with a dish towel when I release the pressure since I've sent pasta water all over the kitchen once.

GoingNuts

Good idea.  But I'm worried about this clogging the valve if I make it too often!  Maybe I need to cut it in half?
N.E. US

BensMom

I have no desire or intention of making yogurt. Mine doesn't have that function.

I sprayed pasta water all over too. So instead of doing a real quick release, I just released it a little and let it come out more slowly. I like the dishtowel idea too. GN,  you can clean the valve--remove it completely and clean it.

Stinky10

I've made yogurt it's good
I think people use that function for proofing bread too

my reg oven has a "proof" setting

GoingNuts

Yeah, I clean the valve regularly, just in case.  This just seemed so... gunky. 
N.E. US

becca

I think if you adjust the water a bit, you'll reduce that issue.  It's happened to me, too, but I release it more gradually and it's better.  I don't drain off the water, if it's just a bit.  It seems to absorb along with the milk and cheeses.
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

becca

I've got chili in mine now.  It smelled like the beans might be scorching a bit, as it came to pressure after adding them, so, I'm trying the last bit of time on the slow cook feature.
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

GoingNuts

I had some Great Northern Beans hanging around, and yesterday I saw some flanken (think short ribs, but kosher) on sale so I grabbed it.  I decided to make a mock Navy Bean soup using the flanken instead of bacon. I used smoked paprika to get the smokey flavor of ham or bacon. No real recipe, just tossed it together.  It came out great.  :)   I think tomorrow I'll try to pick up some escarole to add in to make a more complete meal.

I'll have lots of soup for my freezer.  :thumbsup:
N.E. US

BensMom

Dried beans or canned? I haven't tried dried beans yet.

GoingNuts

N.E. US

Stinky10

I made pho!  It was great!

but first I pouched a chicken :)

you just put the chicken in - I added about 8 cups water - 5 t salt
set to ZERO mins Manual
NPR

it was perfectly cooked - I cleaned it and used that for the meat and broth in this recipe..

http://pressureluckcooking.com/recipe/instant-pot-pho/

I skipped the sprouts and should have gotten Thai basil
but everything else I followed
it was really really good!  DH loved it.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview