FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Instant Pot!  (Read 132181 times)

Description:

Offline GoingNuts

Re: Instant Pot!
« Reply #495 on: April 11, 2018, 05:58:10 PM »
Ooooh, tell me about this orange chicken!
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline BensMom

« Reply #496 on: April 13, 2018, 08:24:08 AM »
I liked the orange chicken more than I expected. I thought it was good. Dd thought it was "fine", but not really good enough to make again. DH isn't a huge fan of breast meat, so if I did make it again, I'd need to add thighs. He said it wasn't that flavorful, which is really just completely wrong. I don't know how he thought that. The leftovers are even better. I might see if I can find another orange chicken recipe to try that will just be a little different and try that. I liked that it's different than anything else I make. Too often new recipes are just similar to something else.

The red beans were good too, in that they're different. I use the same cajun spice mix on a chicken and pasta recipe, so when the beans were cooking, I though it would just taste like that, but it doesn't at all. The chicken recipe is a cream sauce and the beans are tomato based and it's just totally different. For the beans, I used chicken sausage that was "andouille style".

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #497 on: April 16, 2018, 12:10:50 PM »
When you cook the chicken breast recipes for 20-25 minutes, isn’t it over cooked?  I’m presuming you are working through the link of freezer meals you posted, Bensmom?
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #498 on: April 16, 2018, 02:00:41 PM »
I made this orange chicken recipe last night.  It's different, but the flavor is good and we all liked it.  I reduced the garlic by about 1/3 since we're not super garlic fans and I forgot to add the orange zest before cooking, so I added it in with the slurry and it was fine that way.  Next time, I may brown the chicken in a skillet first because my IP couldn't seem to get any color on it.  I think some carmelization on the meat would have added just the hint of flavorfulness I felt this was missing.  Maybe I could even set the IP on the stove to get the sear to keep this one pot...

https://sweetandsavorymeals.com/instant-pot-orange-chicken/
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline BensMom

« Reply #499 on: April 16, 2018, 03:20:58 PM »
That looks good rebekahc. I might try that. I did like the one I made with orange marmelade and it's certainly easier! It had bbq sauce, which I thought was weird, but it ended up good.

becca, I think they turn out fine, but I like my chicken overcooked probably. But I do think the instant pot keeps it more tender than on the stove.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #500 on: April 16, 2018, 05:07:35 PM »
Oooh, that looks delish!
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline BensMom

« Reply #501 on: April 17, 2018, 09:50:46 AM »
I made pasta in my IP last night. It counted down the time and beeped when done, but when I went to release the pressure, there was no pressure. The ring was seated properly. The pot must have thought it came up to pressure because it counted down, so I'm not sure what's going on. I'll have to try a test today and see what I can figure out. The pressure valve thingy seems fine. the knob was in the sealing position. If it hadn't come up to pressure, that would be one thing, but the fact that it thinks it did and counted down the time--that has me confused.

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #502 on: April 17, 2018, 09:56:27 AM »
Mine did that to me a couple of weeks ago.  I messed around with it and I think the valve that pops up was a little stuck and never popped up.  I pushed it up and down several times to make sure it was free floating and cleaned everything really well.  So far, so good, but I'm keeping an eye that the button pops up now when I use my pot. 
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #503 on: April 17, 2018, 10:07:50 AM »
Mine didn't seal properly last night either, but it was due to the ring not being seated properly...didn't check it before I put the lid on.

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #504 on: April 18, 2018, 05:15:33 PM »
Hey all, I have not read this thread, I do not have an instant pot.  I am jealous of those that do.  They don't make one big enough to feed my teen boys. 

However, someone at work today told me there is a guy who has found a way to use his to turn Welches grape juice into good tasting wine!!!!

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #505 on: April 18, 2018, 11:30:29 PM »
Lol!  How about that!  It really does do everything.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #506 on: April 19, 2018, 02:53:33 PM »
Making a stew tonight. Anyone know if canned mushrooms can be added? Would it matter whether they were whole or sliced?

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #507 on: April 20, 2018, 08:01:27 PM »
I don’t think that would matter, SL.  Canned, fresh, or whole vs sliced.

Offline Stinky10

« Reply #508 on: April 20, 2018, 10:11:52 PM »
I would just stir in canned mushrooms at the end...

how did it turn out?
Spanking cats for 40 years!

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #509 on: April 21, 2018, 01:12:28 PM »
Stew was delicious, but I skipped the mushroom.

I find canned mushrooms tasteless unless the soak in whatever I’m making. Like stew or spaghetti sauce. I do like the convenience though.