Instant Pot!

Started by becca, August 20, 2016, 05:25:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mfamom

wait, Stinky was that a typo, 1 to 2 min manual? 
for a whole chicken?

When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

Stinky10

Not a typo

You pretty much cover the whole chicken with water

So it cooks when it's coming up to pressure, it takes a while

Spanking cats for 40 years!

SilverLining

I cooked a chicken tonight.

https://amindfullmom.com/how-to-make-a-whole-chicken-in-the-instant-pot/

I did not use her seasoning blend. I used my own.

Salt
Pepper
Pure savory (aka Newfie spice)
Lemon & herbs

My lemons had gone off, which is why I used the lemon & herbs.

The skin just peeled right off. Meat was delicious.

GoingNuts

"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

SilverLining

it Was so moist.

Tonight I cut up the leftovers and threw it in spaggetti sauce.

GoingNuts

Instant Pot to the rescue while my oven is wonky. I did the whole chicken, then finished it under the broiler for a few minutes.  I changed up the seasonings a bit, used the lemon and onion in the cavity and tossed in some garlic cloves as well.  The broth is absolutely divine.
N.E. US

hezzier

So this is what annoys me...the recipe I am making says that it cooks for 15 minutes, but if I want it to be done when the kids get home how much time do I need for it to come up to pressure? 

SilverLining

It depends on the quantity of liquid and the termperature of the contents before you start.

hezzier

I know but it just makes planning for it to be done at a certain time challenging.

Stinky10

Quote from: GoingNuts on December 02, 2018, 06:21:44 PM
Instant Pot to the rescue while my oven is wonky. I did the whole chicken, then finished it under the broiler for a few minutes.  I changed up the seasonings a bit, used the lemon and onion in the cavity and tossed in some garlic cloves as well.  The broth is absolutely divine.

did you poach it....water covering 90%  ? 

It's a pretty easy way to cook a chicken  :)
Spanking cats for 40 years!

BensMom

Quote from: hezzier on December 05, 2018, 04:39:40 PM
So this is what annoys me...the recipe I am making says that it cooks for 15 minutes, but if I want it to be done when the kids get home how much time do I need for it to come up to pressure?

Usually whatever I make in the IP can sit for a while, so I don't usually worry about it too much, but if I'm trying to time something, I usually factor in about 10-15 minutes to come up to pressure and another 10 for natural release if that's needed.

GoingNuts

Made this today.  I'll let you know how it came out after the gravy separates and I reheat it. I usually toss in a can of black beans when I make it in the (now defunct) crock pot.

http://flavorrd.com/2016/09/instant-pot-ropa-vieja/
N.E. US

GoingNuts

^^ It was good, but the gravy was much thinner and more watery than in the crock.  This could also be because I use more vegetables, which produce more liquid in the IP.  I finished it on the stove top to let the liquid reduce a bit.
N.E. US

SilverLining

PurpleCat

Opened my new Instant Pot Ultra 8 QT, did the water test and then made my annual pea soup lightning fast!  I can not believe how the ham bone cooked and that it only took 15 minutes to cook.  Yes, I know, everyone knows that, but seeing is believing!

Now to read the cookbooks I bought to learn how to use this beast!

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview