login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Instant Pot!  (Read 132176 times)

Description:

Offline SilverLining

Re: Instant Pot!
« Reply #570 on: April 28, 2019, 02:22:32 PM »
Next time I will try 5 tea bags. I’d like it a bit stronger.

DS’s and SO are tea drinkers, so I had them try a glass before they left. DS loves anything lemon, so he added lemon and loved it. SO, like me, thought it was a bit weak...though they would have left tea bags in longer because they also like tea bitter.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #571 on: May 17, 2019, 10:52:18 AM »
Has anyone ever made spaghetti in sauce in their IP?

I want to try it tonight because I cannot open any windows and steam will cook me.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #572 on: July 04, 2019, 07:54:52 AM »
I am thinking of making some fruit water. (To then make ice cubes to use in soda water.)

Can I wrap the fruit/berries in cheese cloth and put in IP? Would be a lot easier than straining after.

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #573 on: August 13, 2019, 12:09:31 AM »
I’ve not heard of doing this in the IP, but does make sense, if you don’t want any fruit solids in the water.  I’d just infuse my water directly with a few macerated or muddled berries, sliced cucumbers, and slices of citrus and/or strawberries.  Whatever is handy.  A local pizza restaurant had a jug of strawberry/basil infused water.  It was yummy!
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #574 on: August 13, 2019, 09:25:36 PM »
I did try it. I found it a bit strong. I did like using the ice cubes in soda water. Much better than the flavours you can buy for soda water.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #575 on: September 07, 2019, 09:21:25 PM »
I have not tried these unstuffed cabbage rolls. But I plan to.

https://www.simplyhappyfoodie.com/instant-pot-unstuffed-cabbage-rolls/

This was dinner tonight.

I used 2 pounds meat instead of one, but otherwise basically followed the recipe. It was good, but not quite as flavourful as I would have liked. We decided it needs more tomato.

But, the cabbage and rice came out the perfect texture. (I used basmati rice...that’s what I had.)

This is in my pot right now. Used 2 pounds meat again. Added a can of spaghetti sauce as well as the canned tomatoes. Hoping I didn’t screw it up. The directions say to add ingredients, stir, then add canned tomatoes on top and do not stir. I added everything and stirred.

It’s still preheating...hope it pressurizes.  :crossed:

Am I the only one that uses FAS as my recipe book?

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #576 on: September 08, 2019, 07:36:26 AM »
LOL, SL - I do too.  ;D

Last week I made the Mac and Cheese recipe that Becca posted awhile back. I made it in the pot the day before my company came, then popped it in the oven to reheat and brown the top before serving. It was really supposed to be a side dish for the meat eaters and the main dish for my niece, but it was clearly the evening’s biggest hit.  :thumbsup:
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #577 on: September 08, 2019, 10:39:34 AM »
I should try that.

Yesterday I bought a cabbage to make ColeSlaw. It doesn’t use much of the cabbage, but can’t use the rest to make rolls. So I remembered making this and searched.

Offline Stinky10

« Reply #578 on: October 21, 2019, 02:43:10 PM »
This was really delish!   More like a soup

I gave DS a little bit - to see if you like it - he said - it doesn't look like something that I'd like.... hahahahha....he ate a huge bowl of it!

***  I don't like tumeric so I didn't put that in
*** I added the coconut milk after the pressure cooking - I've read that many times so I went with it
*** I added a large handful of cilantro after cooking with the coconut milk
***  I subbed - smoked paprika, white pepper and a touch of Italian seasoning to replace the tumeric and cinnamon (dh doesn't like with meat)

https://www.eatingbirdfood.com/butternut-squash-and-turkey-chili/

INGREDIENTS
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
4 large garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons ground turmeric
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, to taste
1 lb ground turkey
1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded and chopped (about 5 cups)
4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
1 – 14 oz can diced tomatoes
1 – 14 oz can light coconut milk
1/2 cup dried red lentils, rinsed
3 tablespoons tomato paste
2–3 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1–2 cups chopped kale or spinach
chopped cilantro and sliced green onions, for garnish
cooked brown rice or quinoa (optional)

INSTRUCTIONS
PRESSURE COOKER:
Push the sauté/browning/meat button on your pressure cooker. Add oil to the inner pot.
Sauté onion and garlic for 3-5 minutes.
Add ground turkey and cook until brown, about 5-7 minutes. Use a wooden spoon to break up the meat while cooking.
Add spices (turmeric, cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper, cinnamon, sea salt and pepper) and cook for an additional minute.
Add butternut squash chunks, veggie broth, tomatoes, coconut milk, lentils, tomato paste and apple cider vinegar to the pot.
Place the lid on the pressure cooker, lock lid and make sure the pressure release valve is closed.
Press cancel on the pressure cooker and then press the soup/stew button. The timer should be set to 15-20 minutes.
Once the timer reaches 0, the cooker will switch to keep warm. Carefully switch the pressure release valve to open (I use tongs for this). Once the steam is released, remove the lid and add in chopped kale or spinach. Give the chili a stir and let sit for a couple minutes to allow the greens to wilt.
Portion chili into bowls, top each bowl with fresh cilantro and green onions before serving. You can also serve the chili over brown rice if you’d like.
STOVE TOP:
Add oil to a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté for 3-5 minutes.
Add ground turkey and cook until brown, about 5-7 minutes. Use a wooden spoon to break up the meat while cooking.
Add spices (turmeric, cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper, cinnamon, sea salt and pepper) and cook for an additional minute.
Add butternut squash chunks, veggie broth, tomatoes, coconut milk, red lentils, tomato paste and apple cider vinegar to the pot. Stir to combine.
Bring mixture to a boil. Once bubbling, reduce heat to medium and simmer the chili uncovered for about 30-35 minutes, stirring occasionally. Once the butternut squash is fork-tender and the lentils are cooked, reduce heat to low.
Add in kale or spinach, stir to combine and let sit for a couple minutes to allow the greens to wilt.
Portion chili into bowls, top each bowl with fresh cilantro and green onions before serving. You can also serve the chili over brown rice if you’d like.
NOTES
If you’re serving a crowd or just want to extend the servings of the chili you can serve it over brown rice or quinoa. We did this one night and it was delicious!
Inspired and adapted from Oh She Glows.
Category: Lunch/Dinner
Method: Instant Pot
Cuisine: American
NUTRITION
Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
Calories: 314
Sugar: 9g
Fat: 11g
Carbohydrates: 32g
Fiber: 8g
Protein: 21g

Spanking cats for 40 years!

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #579 on: October 21, 2019, 03:59:02 PM »
That looks delish.
N.E. US

Offline BensMom

« Reply #580 on: October 22, 2019, 07:37:02 AM »
Lol, sounds like you made a different recipe with those spice substitutions. I might try it your way. I don't like cinnamon with meat either. I'd just leave the cinnamon out I think. I'm ok with tumeric and since that counts as an Indian spice, dh would be happy. I don't let him cook Indian food because I can't stand the smell of curry and some other spices.

Offline Stinky10

« Reply #581 on: October 22, 2019, 12:50:41 PM »
yeah I went more mexican - but that went well with the cumin
you could do a nice garam masala

this was really yummy - and if you are backed up at all - it'll clear that up 
Spanking cats for 40 years!

Offline BensMom

« Reply #582 on: October 24, 2019, 08:33:17 AM »
Pretty sure garam masala is one of those Indian spices I don't like. And cardamom.

Offline buttons

« Reply #583 on: October 24, 2019, 12:42:55 PM »
This isn’t an IP recipe, but I thought I’d post it because of the spice combination with cinnamon. The dates melt into the stew, and the spices are warm and layered, and there’s a little heat if you use the chili flakes. It’s not overly sweet.  The cookbook version also suggests serving with green olives. It’s one of my all time favorite recipes—reminds me of a lamb stew my mother used to make when I was a kid. Seems like a common Moroccan spice combo, might pair well with different meats as well.

https://thefirstmess.com/2013/09/26/moroccan-style-vegan-vegetable-chickpea-stew-recipe/

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #584 on: October 24, 2019, 02:13:18 PM »
Buttons, that looks amazing!  I’m always looking for good veggie things that I can make in quantity to freeze.  I think I’ll make that this weekend.
N.E. US