FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: 504 sample  (Read 2319 times)

Description:

Offline Am131ber

504 sample
« on: August 22, 2016, 12:58:55 AM »
My daughter will be attending a charter academy in California.  Originally they had agreed to keep it dairy, egg, peanut, and tree nut free but have since gone back on that and I feel that I need a 504 some they can no longer be trusted. Since I'm completely new to this I'm looking for sample 504s fop I have an idea what they are and what I need to ask for.  Thank you

Offline PurpleCat

Re: 504 sample
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 09:20:30 AM »
504 plans vary based on age, how much independence and responsibility your child has for her own allergies and well being, structure of school day, etc...

Needs change as our kids grow up, my daughter is now a senior in High School, but we started our journey with public schools when she was in Kindergarten.

How old is your daughter?  Have you looked through some of our threads? 

Offline Am131ber

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 11:41:52 AM »
She is almost 6 and weep be going into 1st grade

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 05:16:25 PM »
If you exit out of this thread and go on the main page, type 504 plan, 504 accommodations, etc....you will get a list of threads to visit.

There are also some key school threads bookmarked on the first page of the schools section, highlighted in a colored band.

At 6 you have many concerns to consider.  Kids are still sharing manipulatives, kids are still putting their hands in their mouths (think, wiggling lose teeth), snack is a big deal, lunch is also typically followed by common time with kids from multiple classrooms, how segregated do you want your daughter, do you want her at an allergy table for lunch, etc....  How do you feel about class parties and celebrations?  Is your daughter contact sensitive?  How do you want her meds handled And where do you want them stored?

Our kids all have different needs based on their readiness.

The plan itself can include anything you and the school administration want.  Sometimes this relationship is smooth and productive and for some it can be very advisarial.

Hoping your team will be positive. 

Key points, document everything, date everything, take someone else to the meeting with you, you may find having a neutral party helpful, esp if you are feeling emotional.

Spend a bit of time in our threads and then post for help with specifics.  There is some great and informative history here.