The oldest epipen(s) that I have are from

Before 2004
Before 2006
Before 2008
Before 2010
Before 2012
I don't keep old ones
I keep a few, or most of them
Most of my expired epipens were never heat damaged that I know of (exposed to temps above 32C/90F for more than an hour or two)

becca

So, embarrassed to say, 80 pens.  A few were Ds's.  They way 10.8 pounds, according to dd. Ds calculated $40,000 at the price of $500 each, but actually, it is $500 per twin pack, no?  But, seriously, think of that expense at today's prices, over the life of a child until they can purchase their own. Fortunately for us, most of these were a modest copay compared to the last couple of years.  I have the choice to get 3 sets by mail for $30(it may have changed), or for $300 each twin pack at CVS.  Seriously.  So, I'll refill in October.  Lowest risk of extreme temps.
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

LinksEtc

Saw this & thought you might be interested CM:

Tweeted by @Donteatmagnets
Julie Brown MD

QuoteEpigate came a few months too soon for our systematic review of epi stability stored in syringes. Scrambling to get it publication-ready.

------

We have a few recently expired (I think).

CMdeux

Thanks-- I might contact her if it looks like I can do this.  It'll be two weeks until I have a home base to figure that out. 

:) 

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

ajasfolks2

Geez.  We have big bag full (maybe 40?) . . . just couldn't figure out where to get rid of them and didn't use all for practice.

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

joanna5

We have 50+ dating back many years.  We don't need that many for training and with two kids who carry them and have them at school, too, we have a LOT.
David (10/04): Allergic to milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, and mustard
Allison (9/06): NKA
Ryan (3/11): Allergic to milk and eggs

catelyn

Oh man, I only have maybe 4 expired ones.  Why would you keep that many expired ones? 

ajasfolks2

Disposing of them can be a challenge . . . . we never felt we should put one into regular trash, even if used.
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

spacecanada

Don't pharmacies everywhere take back medications and sharps for disposal?
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Puddles

I recently brought a bag of old pills and liquids, both Rx and OTC along with epi-pens going back to about 2012. They were not accessible in an emergency.

I did recently discover that all 3 epi's we are carrying were expired.  :misspeak: And there were no refills on our scripts at the pharmacy. The day after I picked up new ones I found an unexpired one in the cupboard.

So currently I have 3 expired in 2015, 1 will expire in 2016, and 2 are good until 2017.

becca

Quote from: spacecanada on August 31, 2016, 07:38:04 PM
Don't pharmacies everywhere take back medications and sharps for disposal?

Nope.  I called around, and none here would take them.  I only fairly recently, relative to how long we have been getting epipens, discovered that our Town Hall has a sharps disposal box. 

name

Forgive me for party-pooping, but in spotting a potential boo-boo... Can a controlled substance be transferred via USPS (or private delivery) even if expired?  Not to mention across state lines.

becca

Actually, name, I questioned the same in my initial response.  I had mentioned, if I could legally get them to the right person, I would be happy to help, but not sure that I can.  There will also be much unknown about the storage of the expired pens, especially since expiry. 

YouKnowWho

Quote from: catelyn on August 31, 2016, 05:30:44 PM
Oh man, I only have maybe 4 expired ones.  Why would you keep that many expired ones?

I'm happy to be rid of them but pharmacies won't take them and just found out the expired drug round up for my county won't either.  What am I supposed to do with them?
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Ciel

My pharmacy takes them back so I stay on top of them and don't keep anything but the most recently expired set at home as a back up.

YKW, can you contact the pharmacy to ask what they suggest? Or check if you can drop them off at the hospital for disposal in a sharps bin?

PurpleCat

Our allergist's office takes them and puts them in their sharpes container.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview