Generic Epinephrine Question

Started by TabiCat, September 07, 2016, 05:20:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TabiCat

Today was our school Epi-pen training the nurse uses me and also DS as "models" for this. She mentioned in the training that the price has become cost prohibitive for most families that are not on CHIPS. She then said that the FDA has recently pulled approval even for the only generic alternative because of dosing problems.

Is that accurate? I thought we people were getting generic in-fact I thought MORE people were getting generic now. 

Ok so I CAN NOT afford what the Epi-pen is likely to cost and we have to replace we have pushed it as long as possible.

The plan was to have the Dr wright the script for Epi and use the coupon and have the pharmacy run with insurance and see where we stand but as back-up we were planning to ask for a generic auto injector script as well and we would likely have to take that option.

Ds - Peanut and Tree nut and a  host of enviro

Texas

spacecanada

I wonder if the nurse got her facts mixed up with the big Allerject/Auvi-Q recall.  I have not seen anything about a generic recall.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

GoingNuts

Nor have I.  What I have seen is that Adrenaclick can't keep up with demand, because they have more limited manufacturing facilities, so they are unlikely to make up a big share of the market.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Janelle205

I haven't seen anything either, and I have a couple of generics.  If they were recalled, I think that the pharmacy would have called, they have before.

TabiCat

That is what I was thinking because the problem she mentioned is what the Avi-Q was recalled for but I wanted to double check. I really don't want to go with the generic even though I trust generic everything. We have the staff trained on the Epi but clearly even the Nurse is not fully clear on what the generic is.
Ds - Peanut and Tree nut and a  host of enviro

Texas

YouKnowWho

I haven't looked into but allergist was against writing for generic epinephrine because it is not officially rated for anaphylaxis.  I was trying to search a few weeks ago on here because I seem to remember this being an issue before a few years ago.  He was not speaking of Auvi Q which he lamented about the loss of since more people were compliant in carrying meds.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview