FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Tree Nut Component Testing  (Read 12291 times)

Description:

Offline PurpleCat

Tree Nut Component Testing
« on: September 22, 2016, 11:47:31 AM »
Just got the call, DD has been approved to have Tree Nut component testing!  I forget which tree nuts the allergist said we will test, we talked about it back in the early Spring.  We get to swing by the lab at our earliest convenience.

It is a 3rd party lab doing the testing so the nurse does not know how long it will take for results.

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
Re: Tree Nut Component Testing
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 01:03:42 PM »
Very good, we will be asking about it at DS's allergy appt in November.

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 02:25:32 PM »
Results are in and I have not had a chance to look at the individual tests (our records are online) but when I do I can add more detail..  The general letter emailed from the allergist last night says DD is not allergic to the high risk components of walnut or brazil nut.  She wants to office challenge walnut.  DD remains highly allergic to cashew and hazelnut and must avoid those.

Need to look at numbers.....to call and set up a challenge......behind on today's doings.

Offline gvmom

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 02:52:12 PM »
I'd be interested in knowing how things go for your DD.... especially the numbers related to walnut and if after you look through the results you still feel like doing an in office challenge. 
"...who knew that Black History Month was really about an Orange White guy" ~gvmom
"...but HILLARY!" is not ACTUALLY a legal defense in the real world.  ~gvmom
"Don't feed the trolls; nothing fuels them so much." ~Oscar Wilde
Trump=Idiot https://twitter.com/spikedcranium/status/966768001943875584

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2016, 08:29:06 AM »
I went into our online account and her test results are not posted.  The lab that did the results is a 3rd party so I will ask for a copy of the results when I call on Monday to discuss a walnut challenge.

Offline gvmom

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 07:26:30 PM »
Any news?  (Realizing that although you said you'd call on Monday, it is Halloween afterall......)
"...who knew that Black History Month was really about an Orange White guy" ~gvmom

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2016, 07:41:05 AM »
I did call, but the receptionist has to put the request in and she said they will be mailed..... ~)  So much for going paperless!

Offline gvmom

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2016, 10:58:58 AM »
 :yes: .... and you know that something like that is actually sitting in some lab's computer too.... they'll actually have to expend more effort printing & mailing. 

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2016, 01:10:05 PM »
Just got off the phone with a nurse at the allergist's office.  She is confused why the results aren't there and she can not access them either!  Not to mention, the doctor wrote a letter yesterday..............as if the first one did not exist......and it is different.....and I got a "whoops" as an excuse!

Now I really want to see the results!

The new letter says she is allergic to the high risk components of hazelnut.  She is not allergic to the his risk components of walnut, cashew or brazil nut.  She goes on to say we can open challenge cashew or walnut!

Now, it is good news...but the discrepancy/error really raises a flag for me.

I have scheduled a challenge for January...but now I don't know which nut we will address first.  Have to see what DD thinks.

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2016, 01:38:14 PM »
Purple Cat,
can you post he name of the lab doing these?  (Please don't if too personally identifying) . . . having trouble getting real answer from doc as to availability of NUT component testing for our kids  . . . really want this done so we can narrow down allergies for both kids.

Thanks!

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2016, 05:19:02 PM »
If it is on the testing results I get, I will share.  All I know right now is it is a 3rd party lab.

Offline gvmom

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2016, 10:58:33 AM »
If you got a call in September, and then just got a letter from the allergist, why didn't the nurse just ask the allergist what results they were looking at?  Your allergist wouldn't go through all that without having results to base what they are telling you off of right?  That really would be a nurse saying, "let me talk to the allergist and call you back" type of thing. 

It all sounds weird.  And, like you, I would definitely want to see, for myself, what the lab results are now at this point.  On paper.  In my own hands.

I also still might question the nurse about what the allergist was looking at.... if there is something that is actually in my child's file.  And checking the dates.   

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2016, 03:14:27 PM »
Today's update is that there is no component test for almond at this time.  DD is on a list for if and when it is available.

I have scheduled 2 challenges for her, January and April for cashew and for walnut.  Her choice which goes first.

According to the nurse, they can not attach the lab results to an email, and they can not attach them to the electronic record.  So a hard copy was mailed to me by snail mail.....

Hopefully by early next week I will have it in my hands.

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2016, 02:22:43 PM »
The lab that did the component testing is:  PIRL https://www.thermofisher.com/us/en/home/clinical/diagnostic-testing/condition-disease-diagnostics/allergy-autoimmune-disease-diagnostics/allergy-diagnostics/phadia-immunology-reference-laboratory.html

But the letterhead is for:  ARUP Laboratories in Salt Lake City UT.

And the client is our local Quest Diagnostics

Now if only I had a more scientific mind.....deciphering the results...or trying to understand them anyway.  There are some helpful tools and charts on the website I linked above.

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2016, 11:05:29 AM »
DS had the blood draw for it today at Lab Corp.  Results will be back in a week or so.  All his Rast numbers are low.  Walnut was the highest being a 7.