Allergic conjunctivitis - at my wits end!

Started by Penny, October 05, 2016, 12:17:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penny

Hi to my FAS friends - it's been a while. 

I've posted this before but can't find my original thread so I'm starting a new one.  I'm really getting desperate with chronic allergic conjunctivitis that I've had for years. If it is from an allergy then what can it possibly be as it bothers me 365 days of the year. It doesn't matter where I am geographically, seasons make no difference nor does bedding, laundry soap, makeup etc. My eyes are red-rimmed with swollen conjunctiva that make them looks watery (they aren't) but the biggest PITA is at night as I have to put drops in my eyes 3 or 4 times a night (no preservatives, single use drops). I've been told it is absolutely allergic conjunctivitis by both my US eye doc and my eye doc in NZ.  I was prescribed Patanol and also Vita-pos (a nighttime eye ointment). The Patanol really hasn't made any difference.

Help!  I'm desperate. I've googled and read every article out there with no insight.  FAS members probably know more about allergies than many doctors.  Is there anything I haven't thought of that might be causing this problem? Does anyone here have eye issues as a result of a food allergy?  Food is sometimes listed as a possible cause of allergic conjunctivitis though my NZ doc said it is doubtful.

p.s.  I don't think Vita-pos is available in the US but it is in other parts of the world including Canada, NZ, Aus, Europe. My tube of Vita-pos says 'may contain peanut oil'. After using it for a couple of nights I looked like I'd been pepper-sprayed, then I read the label.   :P

PurpleCat

I have no experience or wisdom to offer....just very happy to see you here and wanted to say HI!!!!!!  :bye:

The eye condition you have does not sound very pleasant....hope you can get some answers and resolution.

starlight

Any chance you could be allergic to the eye drops you started when they first flared up, or the drops are irritating your eyes? Like you had a temporary environmental allergy problem and that cleared but you just replaced one problem with another? My mom was recently diagnosed with sjogren's and this happened to her. She thought her eyes were getting worse due to the disease, but it was the drops.

Use anything special to clean your glasses? Have an animal you may have developed an allergy to whose dander is on your clothes? Your face soap or shampoo? Argan oil is the new big thing, it's nut based, and residue on hair can rub off onto your pillow case (not argan but I was allergic to something I used on my hair and woke up with my eyes almost swollen shut once). Been tested for dust allergy severity recently?

Penny

Thanks Starlight. I emailed my eye doc in NZ (I'm currently in the US) and she said it is extremely rare to be allergic to Patanol. The only other drops I use are single-use preservative free eye moisturizing drops. Prior to my last eye appointment I'd given up on allergy drops (they don't help) and was only using preservative free single-use saline drops but the doc says the conjunctivitis needs to be treated, so I'm back on allergy eye drops yet again. The conjunctivitis has been a problem for years in spite of whatever cosmetics, shampoo, detergents, etc. that I use. I don't have any pets.  I'm negative on dust and dust mites.

I know I sound negative with tried this, tried that, etc. I do appreciate your suggestions.  I think when I get home I'll visit an allergist.

I know that sjogren's can cause similar eye issues so I wonder if I am misdiagnosed but the docs swear this is from allergies.   >:( 

:) Thank you again. 

GoingNuts

Hi Penny :bye:  So good to see you, bit sorry you're so uncomfortable.

I use Rx steroid/antibiotic drops when the rosacea on my eyelids flares up,  and a side effect is that my eye allergies really improve.  Don't know if that is an option, or how long you can use them for. They usually get the rosacea under control within a 5 days or so.

Good luck!
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Penny

Hi GoingNuts,   :bye: hi to you, too!!  Nice to see all these familiar 'faces'.

I've read about rosacea causes eye issues....it's something I'll look into and I seem to remember the NZ eye doc mentioning a prescription steroid drop if the Patanol doesn't work. Good to know there's still something in the arsenal. Thanks for this info. 

I've had bouts of blepharitis in the past so today bought baby shampoo to make a lid scrub, just in case this is contributing.  I'll probably find out I'm allergic to baby shampoo.  ;D

GoingNuts

Even better are Ocusoft scrubs, but pricey.  The scrubby texture really keeps things under control.

N.E. US

Penny

Quote from: GoingNuts on October 05, 2016, 08:13:21 PM
Even better are Ocusoft scrubs, but pricey.  The scrubby texture really keeps things under control.

I priced Ocusoft today and decided to go with the baby shampoo after looking at the cost!  I also bought a microwaveable eye mask. Apparently heat can help dissolve the oil plugs that cause blepharitis....if this is even the issue. 

GoingNuts

You can also cut a potato in half, microwave it, and place a wet washcloth over the potato if you're caught without a mask.

Clearly I've spent way too much time on this stuff.  ~) ;D
N.E. US

Penny

Quote from: GoingNuts on October 05, 2016, 09:02:08 PM
You can also cut a potato in half, microwave it, and place a wet washcloth over the potato if you're caught without a mask.

Clearly I've spent way too much time on this stuff.  ~) ;D

;D  Funny.  Clearly I've found my eye-misery-match. Yukon-Gold, russet or red?  And can I eat it afterwards? 

GoingNuts

N.E. US

StridAst

Some thoughts of mine.  I too get allergic conjunctivitis. Looks like I have pinkeye anytime I so much as sit in a room with a cat, or get any dog fur in or near my eyes. I do get watery eyes fairly often from general allergies, but that's the pollen and the molds.  But FOR ME, as I understand my allergist, the watery eyes are the pollens or the molds, and allergic conjunctivitis is the full pinkeye style flare ups I get from animal hair.  (Experiences may vary)

Now, given that NZ is on the opposite side of the globe from America, with very different flora and fauna, my mind goes to the three common threads I can come up with. Either occupation (what do you do for a living? Any potential allergens you could be exposed to at work in both places). Or animal still,  mice infestations in both locations? Or household plants. If you have a favorite flower or something that you have in both locations inside your house, pollen could easily build up indoors to concentrations that cause this. Just some possibilities to consider
StridAst

Reactions to: chickpeas, peanuts, onion, garlic, sunflower, safflower, peas, cherry, almonds and probably soy
Tested positive for, allergy unconfirmed:  beef, carrots, beans, milk, apples, raspberry.
Asthma, EE also

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview