FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: NEW JERSEY Clarification of 504 Plans for LTFA (mollymaude)  (Read 2894 times)

Description: Nationwide implications for 504 eligibility

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
NEW JERSEY Clarification of 504 Plans for LTFA (mollymaude)
« on: September 08, 2011, 11:54:40 AM »
http://allergy.hyperboards.com/action/view_topic/topic_id/8825

I came across this document on one of the discussion lists I subscribe to.  I'm just cutting and pasting the text.  Is there a way to post a document?

January 26, 2009

TO:        Chief School Administrators/Charter School Lead Persons

Division of Student Services

SUBJECT:   Clarification-504 Plans for students with food allergies

Earlier this year, the department released two documents in response to statutory requirements at N.J.S.A. 18A:40-12.3 through 12.6, Training Protocols for the Emergency Administration of Epinephrine and Guidelines for the Management of Life-Threatening Food Allergies in Schools.  Both documents provided guidance to districts on policies and procedures concerning the care of food allergic students. 

Since the release of these documents, it has come to our attention that some districts are using the development and implementation of an Individualized Healthcare Plan and Individualized Emergency Healthcare Plan (IEHP) to replace a plan of accommodations under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973.  Please be advised that the IHP and IEHP do not relinquish the district from its responsibility to evaluate students who need services under Section 504 and make individual placement determinations.  Districts must continue to follow their standard operating procedures to identify and determine the food allergic student’s eligibility for services under section 504.

The department recognizes the challenges inherent in the provision of medical services to children in the school setting and appreciates your persistence in creating policies and procedures to address the medical needs of students.  Technical questions pertaining to Section 504 and the implementation of Section 504 plans can be directed to the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights at (646) 428-3900.  You may also visit the Office of Civil Rights website at http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/index.html.

BG/SM
c:   Commissioner Lucille E. Davy
   Willa Spicer
   John Hart
   Senior Staff
   Barbara Gantwerk
   Susan Martz
   LEE Group
   Garden State Coalition of Schools
Executive County Superintendents

~ ~ ~
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 06:40:48 AM by ajasfolks2 »
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!