FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Auvi-Q relaunch  (Read 45911 times)

Description:

Offline GoingNuts

Re: Auvi-Q relaunch
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2017, 10:35:39 AM »
^^ Ditto. DS has left his Epipens in the car a few too many times because the didn't fit in his pocket. We'll see what Oxford charges.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline gvmom

« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2017, 11:40:20 AM »
Just as a sort of aside.... it would be more convenient to have auvi-q's ..... for the size.

However, DS1, uses a belt that is like the spibelt, but has a second smaller pocket.  He fits 2 epipens & 4 bendryl fast melts in the larger pocket, and in the smaller one he has a phone and student body card.  Money sometimes. 

He is slim, and wears the belt, with untucked shirt.  Other people can't tell he is wearing something..... but he knows when he doesn't have his "kit" because, well, you feel that you are missing something as you walk out the door. 

One of the take-aways from reading the stories of fatalities over the years has been that teens forget their epipens.  We've been militant on having a system that makes it so there is habit ..... with a routine..... which makes it so part of going out the door, including putting on shoes and socks, also means putting on your kit.  Along with having a hook for it. 

I imagine that when he goes to college, if he is living away from home for that, will be to establish a spot for his kit.

I would absolutely love to have his kit not be so bulky.  When he had auvi-q's before it was nice.  But, without some sort of routine, or established spot, that creates that automatic memory that you are forgetting something, even auvi-q's can be forgotten or left someplace.  Auvi-q's can also fall out of pockets.  Or be left in them.  I have no idea how well they would do going through the washer & dryer...... they might not fare as well as lego minifigures.

edited to add:  I guess my point is that size isn't all that matters necessarily for us..... and.... the whole issue with pricing, well, we've talked in our house about the jerky-ness of Mylan... to then turn a blind eye to Auvi-q would not sit well just with my own beliefs.  Just because the system exists as it is, doesn't mean you have to contribute to what makes it so cr@ppy.  Couldn't they try to find a way to be part of the solution to it?  Decide not to play the game?   
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 11:44:08 AM by gvmom »
"...who knew that Black History Month was really about an Orange White guy" ~gvmom
"...but HILLARY!" is not ACTUALLY a legal defense in the real world.  ~gvmom
"Don't feed the trolls; nothing fuels them so much." ~Oscar Wilde
Trump=Idiot https://twitter.com/spikedcranium/status/966768001943875584

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2017, 12:33:12 PM »
Good points gvmom.

Our DS is a freshman in college this year (can you believe our kids are grown up?!). He hasn't work a spindly since 8th grade--just wouldn't do it. It's been a pocket thing for him. And he has had an auvi since his freshman year of HS (but not last year obv). He did competitive Speech all through high school and on Saturdays wore a suit 7am-6pm, and the AuviQ was invisible in his coat pocket.

Right now, with the size of the EpiPen, he keeps two in his backpack but has to remember to put them in his pocket when he doesn't have his backpack with him.

So looking at our insurance, generic epinephrine  autoinjector  is Tier 1 and the  Jr version is Tier 4. !!!  And both may require using Step Therapy (a different drug) really?  EpiPens are Tier 3. AuviQ is Tier 4 and may require step therapy.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline gvmom

« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2017, 12:52:39 PM »
I can't even believe it really.  I was just thinking this morning about how many people were here from way back when I was looking around for someplace to find any information & support .... back when DS1 was a toddler.  How many of us have high schoolers or kids in college now.  It is crazy!

I had to go look up the whole Step Therapy thing though.  Amazing how so many things get thought up and given a catch name.  Such BS. 

Anyway..... yeah...... I am not sure about that.  We'll have to check it all out because I'm not sure how you do anything else besides some sort of epinephrine autoinjector for when you need epinephrine.  The table I found ... which I'm not sure if it is accurate.... didn't make any sense to me.  Certainly finding all sorts of nasal sprays didn't seem to make any sense to me as something that should be related to equitable to an auto-injector.

"...who knew that Black History Month was really about an Orange White guy" ~gvmom

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2017, 04:53:04 PM »
Boys...Auvi Q?  If and when check out Running Buddy.  I bought these Mini Pouches as stocking stuffers for my boys and DH for ID's and money for biking, they are awesome!  The mini even says it will hold Auvi Q.

https://www.therunningbuddy.com/collections/buddy-pouch/products/running-buddy-mini

I echo what was said above and I don't have a boy who carries.  If and when, I will do my very best to get Auvi Q's for DD.  She and I were sad when we had to give them up.  We are both thrilled that they could be an option for her at college....she will not be with the friends she grew up with, but they are easy to teach to new friends and on a college campus, who knows who she might need help from...a better option for her.

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2017, 05:55:29 PM »
I've seen that carrier in action at a cross country meet for a girl with asthma.  Was so nice and small...most people probably didn't even notice it.  Now that I said I would only get them for DS, that carrier would be prefect for DD (wasps and yellow jackets) when they are doing their runs for swim team this spring.  The larger running buddy did not work for DS and epi pens...he's just not big enough to have a pouch that big.

Offline BensMom

« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2017, 06:44:08 PM »
I got one for ds last year I think. I'm the only one that uses it.  ~) I use it to hold my phone and keys when dd and I go for a bike ride.

Offline MaryM

« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2017, 08:16:23 AM »
DS was so excited that the Auvi-Q was coming back but Cigna will not cover it :(  He really wanted to go back to using his running buddy at school rather than the bulky spi belt.  I really wanted them too bc they take up much less space in my purse. 

Offline SaraM

« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2017, 01:30:20 PM »
Just an FYI, if you want to use their $0 coupon program, the Auvi-q has to be MAILED to you or your physician. I called them because I was concerned about temperature fluctuations during transit (and in my mailbox in Chicago!).  All customer service could tell me was "it will arrive in a box". Sigh....I guess I will see what it prices out as through our insurance. I would ASSUME temperature sensitive medications going straight to a pharmacy get special treatment, but now I'm wondering...

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2017, 04:52:13 PM »
There is info about the cold temps somewhere here--it's not as much of a concern IMHO. And I'm in Minnesota.

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2017, 04:31:47 PM »
More concerning for me in GA given the higher temps as of late (and into the summer).
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Mr. Barlow

« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2017, 05:45:00 PM »
Mine were ordered last week I'm waiting for them to come in wishing like crazy they could be voiced by Bianca Del Rio.  Not today, Anaphylaxis.  Not today. 

Offline gvmom

« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2017, 03:44:11 PM »
http://www.philly.com/philly/health/Pharma-firm--Opioid-Overdose-Antidote-Then-Raising-The-Price.html

Just for point of discussion.... when it comes to the ethics of choice..... Kaleo just priced Naloxone from a $600 range to $4500 ...... that has essentially the same auvi-q design.

They were actually questioned in the spring when their product was placed in the $3000 range.

Anyone not familiar with this product..... it is life saving in the event of opioid overdose.

Are they trying to force the overhaul of prescription drug pricing through this?  It is really pretty disgusting.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2017, 04:01:31 PM »
The local health agency where I live would like to see everyone carrying Naloxone kits (they are handing out the regular syringe kits) because the overdose deaths have skyrocketed to create a public health emergency. I wonder how much one of the Kaleó Naloxone autoinjectors cost here in Canada? Just for comparison. 

Not that I would carry one and have someone mistake it for Epi...

I also heard that Trump is starting a process to restructure medication prices to make them cheaper.  I hope it actually happens for the Americans here.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2017, 05:54:18 PM »
So I found out today that the AuviQ will cost $11 for a 30 day supply. For me. 🦀🍤🦐🍔☕️. (Wow--so many crustacean emoji! And such cute little sesame seeds on the hamburger! That last one is supposed to be chamomile tea.)

I love the 30 day supply thing. That has made easy to stockpile for school in the past when DS had that policy.

But he doesn't now. His will be around $150. Boo.

These are both without the affordability program.

DS wants his Auvis back BIGLY BADLY.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 05:56:39 PM by Macabre »