FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Working in retail.  (Read 1857 times)

Description:

Offline Dexter56

Working in retail.
« on: November 03, 2016, 07:39:10 PM »
Im applying for my first job, and since I live in a small town with limited options for a teen to work at, I only have the option to work at my town's Dollar General. The DG is looking to hire a sales associate, but this is a problem for me having a peanut allergy. I would be spending most of my time touching food, which I can't with not being able to even touch peanut products. My mom suggested wearing rubber gloves would keep peanut residue off my hands, but im not sure if that will help or not.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
Re: Working in retail.
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 09:40:28 PM »
Hi Dexter and welcome! :bye:

I am both airborne and contact sensitive to peanuts, so I completely understand your hesitation with working a job where you have to handle food. That said, as a teenager I worked at a grocery store as a checker with minimal problems. The only problem I had was when handling the bagged candies sometimes my hands would itch and swell. I was always very conscious to NOT touch my face while working. I also did not eat or drink while there. My managers were aware of my allergy and allowed me time to wash my hands any time they started to itch. It worked for me.

Currently, my peanut allergic DS is working at a grocery store. He gets hives and his neck often becomes red while he's there. His store has bulk nuts and nut flours and grind your own PB, etc. which was not something I had to deal with back in the day. So far, DS's reactions have not progressed past the skin symptoms, so he chooses to keep working there even though I have encouraged him to explore other options. DS's managers are understanding and he is never asked to work on the bulk and grind your own aisles. He follows the same precautions as I did to avoid accidental ingestion which I think helps. He always has his EpiPens with him and will not hesitate to speak up if he feels unsafe. Since DS's reactions are on skin that isn't actually touching the food, I don't think wearing gloves would help him. Taking a daily antihistamine does seem to help a bit.

If you think handling the packaged foods is a risk with your level of sensitivity, maybe you can come up with a safer alternative. Think about all the different types of businesses in your area and maybe something will come to mind. Yard work? Helping with filing in a business office? Answering phones? Babysitting or working at an after school daycare? Tutoring? Cleaning? Do you know anyone who owns a business? Companion/helper for an elderly or disabled person?

Good luck!
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2016, 12:22:17 AM »
This has been something we've dealt with to some extent. My son, 18, had two anaphylaxic reactions in elementary and middle school that his allergist attributed to accidental ingestion by touching a contaminated surface and eating without washing his hands.

His similar store experience is limited to bagging groceries at a grocery store--and occasionally as a fundraiser. That said, he did spot as a grocery bagged at a different grocery store a few years ago. We talked about his keeping wipes under the register and using them frequently. 

So--a good thing: did you know that Dollar Tree sells peanut free candy corn? Maybe they still have it. I would need to look for the brand and post it here over the weekend.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Puddles

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2016, 08:31:43 AM »
I would wear gloves. Though not necessarily "latex". My son was wearing latex gloves daily and eventually started reacting to them. Maybe he was allergic all along, we don't know.

But there are latex free gloves, or you can get cotton gloves to wear under the latex gloves (my dentist uses them). There are also work gloves. They may be expensive, but are washable, and more comfortable in my opinion.

Good luck. I hope you're able to find a job. :)

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2016, 08:36:22 AM »
Welcome Dexter!

Any libraries in your town?  That might be a relatively food- free option.

No advice here beyond what other members have suggested. Just want to wish you luck! :luck:
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2016, 08:26:47 PM »
Not really advice, but I just wanted to note that you wouldn't even appear out of place wearing gloves to me - there are several cashiers at the stores that I go to locally that wear different types of gloves to avoid the BPA in the thermal receipt paper.

Offline Dexter56

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2016, 11:16:25 PM »
Thanks for the advice everyone! The alternatives you guys suggested actually gave me an idea of what I should look for.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2016, 08:03:31 AM »
Glad to hear it Dexter!  Good luck with the job search!
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2016, 09:37:07 AM »
:thumbsup:
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts