FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Frying a turkey?  (Read 2992 times)

Description: Other oil besides peanut?

Offline my3guys

Frying a turkey?
« on: November 21, 2016, 01:48:56 PM »
So I saw an ad for the Butterball electric turkey fryer, which gets great reviews when I looked it up.

I'm wondering what other oil besides peanut works well? I looked that up too...vegetable, corn oil were mentioned. I'm wondering if anyone here fries their turkeys and what oils you've used successfully?

Offline hedgehog

Re: Frying a turkey?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 02:37:39 PM »
I have never fried a turkey, but have found that for frying in general, canola oil is just fine.
USA

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 02:53:02 PM »
I've always heard the reason to use peanut oil is due to its high smoke point.  Googling 'oils for frying with high smoke points' yielded this link: https://jonbarron.org/diet-and-nutrition/healthiest-cooking-oil-chart-smoke-points which says that refined soy, corn and sunflower oils have the same smoke point (450 F) as refined peanut oil.  Refined canola oil is lower at only 400 F. 
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 11:37:10 PM »
I haven't done a turkey, but at camp, we used refined corn oil for all of our frying.  Keeps us out of the potential trouble with peanuts and sunflower seeds, and the cook switched from soy to corn when I came back six years ago.

Offline Stinky10

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 12:28:50 PM »
a little late here..

the only successfully fried turkey I've done was in peanut oil

I wouldn't bother if you can't use peanut
Spanking cats for 40 years!

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 07:24:04 PM »
My BIL made a few wonderful deep fried turkeys for the family using canola, I think.  Not sure, but it was not peanut oil.  His wife was nice enough to be sure we knew how expensive it was, because they could not use the peanut oil...  It was fine. 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2016, 09:39:05 PM »
Lol.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts