New NIH Guidelines on Infants and Peanuts

Started by Macabre, January 05, 2017, 10:04:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eragon

Its OK to have dreams:one day my kids will be legal adults & have the skills to pick up a bath towel.

eragon

Its OK to have dreams:one day my kids will be legal adults & have the skills to pick up a bath towel.

gvmom

But what's next?

A weekend with a bunch of wine.....

Seriously, my opinions don't really accomplish anything.  I get to post on a discussion board, air my gripes and that is pretty much it.  I'm old and tired.  My real battles and gray hair were with my older kids with elementary school.

I mean, part of a discussion board is the discussing it part right?  I don't have to go out into the world and be a revolutionary pushing 50 do I?  Although, who knows, maybe one of my kids will be inspired by their old Mom going on about some of this stuff.... you know, while I sit at the computer, posting ..... and then nagging them about homework.

But..... and eragon..... I think I've got who you are right from days long ago, and you are one of those people who is foundational for me.  I remember you , if I'm right.  And the earlier days.  What you say, and your experiences, have way more weight in my opinion than these guys with their new study.  You have history.  They don't.

And I would say, that when you post:

I dont know how long UK has been eating peanuts,  its not that long, but certainly the most common allergen in infants is still egg and milk, so where did the peanut allergy really come from?
new allergies to food that is recently now part of our diet is kiwi fruit, as that only came over in the 80s.
So, is it new food, is it common food from that country?
Is it both, one leading to another?
If so why?

I want to say.... yes.... exactly.  And why aren't they working on THOSE questions? 

Studies that are more useful like the LEAP, provide fuel for more questions, and perhaps a direction for further study.

And, why aren't they studying more.... rather than issuing new policies.... more questions should lead to more investigation.... not what is going on now. 

I really hope that this study halts the development of the disease for some.
I dont think it is anyway near a cure, much like induced tolerance.  Which is a vast ongoing experiment and only time will tell if the promised improved quality of life lasts long term.

It would be great if some didn't get the allergy based on what went on in the study, but the thing is it is being passed off more like a cure which is problematic for me.  And, instead of it being really talked about in context.... an experiment.... it is supposed to be some sort of discovery that seems so set in certainty. 

They've done this study, they've put out policies.  I still want to know what happened to those 76.  And, what about all of those success stories..... or the ones that were sensitized, that theoretically are cured, that maybe rebound to worse?  How long do they follow these kids and really get what is going on? 

Your son is still surprising doctors in his 20's?  Well..... what would you have said about a doctor that called a diagnosis on him at 5 a wrap?  Or, taken the information about your son's experience, only up until the age of 5, and then decided on guidelines for every other child based on them? 

I'm not saying that to be argumentative to you either...... more like an example since you have a child in their 20's that continues to not follow the models. 

Those of us with kids who are older ...... many of us..... know that the allergy journey is weird and unpredictable.  They aren't asking more questions, and are stopping before they even get started or add more questions they should have in their studies. 

Before the study is used to create policy, why can't they even see where they stand with these kids ..... checkpoints after their 5 years to see if what they think they've figured out really is what they think it is?  I know that we still had a lot of changes after 5 years of age....... we can't be the only ones. 

"...who knew that Black History Month was really about an Orange White guy" ~gvmom
"...but HILLARY!" is not ACTUALLY a legal defense in the real world.  ~gvmom
"Don't feed the trolls; nothing fuels them so much." ~Oscar Wilde
Trump=Idiot https://twitter.com/spikedcranium/status/966768001943875584

eragon

Totally agree with the weekend and wine.  <once I get over this bloody throat infection>

Changing policy after 5 years doesnt seem like that long a time, agree.
But its nothing new...the tolerance treatments are the same.
We dont have much an idea about the length of tolerance.  Tolerance has been greeted as a cure by some. Cautious optimism is the best way forward.

Every study is touted as a cure on social media , news, and yes many poorly informed people will skip up to  us  as parents and ask us in joyful tones, ' when we are going to get the peanut cure'?.
Which is SO annoying on so many fronts, like any other allergen isnt scary enough? oh, and the INSULT that is implied that we havent bothered to get our kid 'cured'. 
We can choose to be annoyed for only so long. < why do you think we need wine? have given up chocolate because of the dairy>

< btw in terms of cures,  the UK doesnt even have allergy shots as wasnt deemed safe due to  deaths>

I am sure that new studies on the areas we mentioned are being poured over by the allergy boffins of the world. why would you think they are not, just because they arent broadcasting it? getting grants for studies is not an over night process is it?  <oh, that word....that word so over used in England recently, the B one, yes Brexit, we wait and see how that impacts us with regard to studies>

Most allergic children, who grow into allergic adults,  stay with the same allergy and from what I gather it doesnt change. They cope with flares of asthma, environmental allergies, if they have them, and avoid the food allergens.  <What comfort that would be for us> 

No doctor would base any guideline on one child, and this study wasnt one child.

Every single person with their infant, gives them food at home. I think I would prefer the guidelines are there for those that are considered at risk and get support.  Many will ignore, those that are not well advised will take risks. But some will be helped. 

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview