login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Waffling the non-waffle  (Read 3351 times)

Description:

Offline Janelle205

Waffling the non-waffle
« on: January 30, 2017, 12:58:36 AM »
I bought a waffle iron earlier this week with the goal of waffling non-waffle items. Thought I could share here successes and failures - and I would love to hear of any ideas recipes for anyone else.

Offline Janelle205

Re: Waffling the non-waffle
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 01:12:16 AM »
So my first attempt was Mac and Cheese waffles.

I had leftover mac and cheese that was a stovetop version.  Mine was jalapeno bacon and broccoli mac and cheese - I think it would work better with mac and cheese with no mix ins - my peppers and bacon were small pieces, but the broccoli was larger and made the waffle a little loose in spots.

I took the mac and cheese and spread it into a 9 x 13 pan in a thin layer.  Covered it with foil directly on top, and nested another 9 x 13 pan on top and pressed it to get everything to stick together as much as possible.  I refrigerated it overnight this way.

To make the waffles, I cut the pressed mac and cheese into about bread sized slices.  I put a layer of cheese in between two slices - colby jack for DS and pepperjack for DH.  Preheated the waffle iron and put the mac and cheese sandwich in.  I slowly pressed and closed it until it would shut all the way and latch - this probably took about 30 seconds to a minute to get the iron fully closed.  I cooked it for about 8 minutes on the middle heat setting of the iron.  This was long enough to get the cheese inside all melty and make it golden brown on the outside.  Then I took it out, topped with a fried egg and sliced green onions.

I ate a few pieces from DS's without the egg.  Obviously not something to eat all the time, but it was a good way to use up leftover mac and cheese.  I think that for the size I made for DH, I would use two fried eggs in the future for a better ratio.

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 05:28:43 AM »
I think my sister has done this before...

http://inspiralized.com/video-how-to-make-spiralized-waffles/

Offline gvmom

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 12:48:44 PM »
I totally was thinking that you made these differently. 

What an even better idea than what I was thinking though! 

I actually have leftover pasta and your mac & cheese idea came to mind for possibly making leftover pasta waffles for dinner tonight. 
"...who knew that Black History Month was really about an Orange White guy" ~gvmom
"...but HILLARY!" is not ACTUALLY a legal defense in the real world.  ~gvmom
"Don't feed the trolls; nothing fuels them so much." ~Oscar Wilde
Trump=Idiot https://twitter.com/spikedcranium/status/966768001943875584

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 02:04:04 PM »
What a neat idea!
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 02:20:10 PM »
I totally was thinking that you made these differently. 

What an even better idea than what I was thinking though! 

I actually have leftover pasta and your mac & cheese idea came to mind for possibly making leftover pasta waffles for dinner tonight. 

I looked into some different methods on the internet before deciding - this was an adaptation of the one that I thought would work with what I had leftover and would give me the best results.

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2017, 03:24:15 PM »
I have not tried it, but I have seen articles go by on FB that use tater tots in a waffle iron.
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 03:28:31 PM »
Putting this link here, because I have thought about trying some of these alternative waffle iron ideas as well. 

http://greatist.com/eat/waffle-maker-recipes

Offline gvmom

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2017, 08:04:24 PM »
Have you looked at the recipes listed there Becca?

I sort of feel like I'm going to lose my mind wanting to reach through the screen for the Wonut and the 3 minute churros!

The Wonut seems like the biggest one for me.  When we got egg back, I was able to make funnel cakes.... which are so AMAZING....

... and can be done without too much oil for frying....

I've been reluctant to do doughnuts though because you still really do need more oil to fry them.  Since Krispy Kreme became unsafe, I've been sad about losing doughnuts again after recently only being able to eat them when we got soy back. 

But, it looks like you could do a Wonut with minimal oil for frying because they are flatter and would hold their structure better than the doughnut when it is just risen and needing to be transferred for frying.

With the 3 minute churro, I'm just trying to figure out if you really just need to figure 1 pack of puff pastry per person with that.  Honestly.  I love churros.  I love love love puff pastry.  I am just sort of in shock sitting here imagining just how many of those I might eat in one sitting. 
"...who knew that Black History Month was really about an Orange White guy" ~gvmom
"...but HILLARY!" is not ACTUALLY a legal defense in the real world.  ~gvmom
"Don't feed the trolls; nothing fuels them so much." ~Oscar Wilde
Trump=Idiot https://twitter.com/spikedcranium/status/966768001943875584

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2017, 06:47:21 AM »
Gvmom, yes, I did, and have before, looked at those and other waffling recipes.  Personal experience did not go well when I used chocolate chips in waffles.  Not sure about in other recipes in a waffle iron.  The chocolate burned and stuck and was hard to clean off.  I think fresh blueberries were a similar experience. 

A Belgian waffle maker allows for some rise, vs a flat waffle iron. 

Offline Ciel

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2017, 05:16:21 PM »
Have you seen this book Janelle? The author runs a blog/website by the same name.

I have the kindle version and would be happy to lend it to you if I can figure out how to do that.