FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Specific Food Allergies > Peanut/Tree Nut Allergy

REACTS AND DOES NOT

<< < (2/3) > >>

allergydemon:
Hey,

Thanks for the replies, We have been loosely keeping a diary of what she reacted too, but there are not many reactions to speak off. As an example she had a piece of HOTDOG from costco, no bun, and she got a small reaction around her lips and that is it.. not sure why. She did wake up 2 days ago with some green goo near her eyes (it was a warm day in Maryland) and when my wife's friend came over her son had the same.. so some type of allergen and that is the day where she got her reaction from the coconut milk ice cream.  I know the coconut is also a very distant cousin to the tree nut family but so far she has had no reaction to Almond milk, Cashew Milk, Flax seed milk, Almond Meal, Corn, any type of bean no fruit reaction or other vegetables. (tomatoes yes, but only where it touches her skin, not on ingestion)

In our family only I have a bit of eczema within my eye brows and slightly around my nose area (dry skin there itchy) my wife's sister is allergic to Mangos and walnuts.. We have given mangos to my daughter and she is fine with them.

No blood tests have been done, just the prick test and one crumbled up peanut and she was pricked with it. No reaction on the first peanut test, reaction on the actual peanut and second prick.

Good news; The first time we took the test, Milk came out stronger as an allergen than the egg, This time around the Egg was stronger and the Milk was just a red spot as oppose to the egg and peanut being more of a raised hive.

When she does have a reaction it does not last long at all, almost as if the body reacts and says.. " crap, I forgot that she can eat that" and all goes back to normal.

I know it sounds silly, but her mood and behavior during a reaction does not change at all.  Her breathing is excellent (As the Dr mentioned during testing)

Plus, we have given her Milk for 10 months prior to knowing she had an allergy and all the symptoms we had at first were, spit up at times, and then the skin flakes around the head and eat.. which we were first diagnosed as " Infantile seborrhea dermatitis "  Anyways, once we knew it was Milk, we switched to Soy Formula and haven't gone back.

hezzier:

--- Quote from: allergydemon on March 22, 2017, 12:11:59 PM --- I was told she is allergic to only 1 protein in the peanut.

--- End quote ---

Ok, here's where I see a problem...this cannot be determined without a blood test.  I think you need to seek a second opinion. 

allergydemon:
Yes, you are correct, I should be more specific where he said he thinks it is just one protein based on the fact she didn't react to one's company peanut butter, but did to another companies. Dr said when the peanut butter was processed in their factory it could have eliminated one of the proteins.

No blood test was done to 100% confirm this.

rebekahc:
Manufacturing processes don't remove peanut proteins (if they did, peanut allergy would be a thing of the past - wouldn't that be amazing!), so your doctor's explanation just doesn't make sense.  Also, there's no way your doctor can tell from testing how your DD's breathing is during a reaction.  Are you sure this doctor is a board certified (MD) allergist?

Test results cannot predict the severity of a reaction nor what symptoms might occur; they only predict the likelyhood of a reaction.  The larger the wheal, the better chance of reacting - there's not really a  correlation with severity of symptoms, though.  If you're interested in the research behind this, google positive predictive value skin prick test. 

With regard to her mouth symptoms with the hot dog, my kids used to do that, too - ketchup, ranch dressing, toothpaste, hot dogs, etc. - so it could have been similar to the way tomatoes affect her.  However, I know some hot dogs contain milk, so it's important to always read ingredient labels.   

allergydemon:
The hot dog had nothing on it. Yes, he is board certified and apparently the best one in Maryland as said by john hopkins pediatrics -also one of the best in the country. So, I dunno.

I found out from my mom today that my dad was allergic to milk as a baby and eventually grew out of it and her brother also had a milk issue as a baby. So I am hopeful it will go away..

But immune issue exist in my family, Mom has rheumatoid arthritis, my wife had alopecia areata, my sister-in-law is allergic to mangos and walnuts and I have a bit of eczema around my eye brows and sometimes nose.

as a 12 year old I had a stomach issue and they thought it was allergies, had been tested and had alot of positives, which were untrue.. (stomach problem was a clogged intestine)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version