FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: How do you clean up after eating peanuts?  (Read 4790 times)

Description:

Offline A giraffe

How do you clean up after eating peanuts?
« on: April 03, 2017, 11:17:36 AM »
Hello all,

A dear friend of mine has a horrific life threatening peanut and tree nut allergy. I worry when I drive her around because I occasionally eat nuts in my car. Is there any way to remove all of traces of nuts in my car?

Thanks

Online rebekahc

• Global Moderator
Re: How do you clean up after eating peanuts?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 11:31:22 AM »
How thoughtful you are to worry about your friend!

It's very difficult to remove all traces of nut protein - especially from upholstery.  I would suggest using Clorox Wipes and elbow grease to remove it from the hard surfaces and vacuum the rest as well as you can.  Generally, if you're driving while eating nuts, you're not touching the same surfaces a passenger would be, so that'll help, too. 

If your friend is extremely sensitive, she most likely takes her own precautions as well since most public places will have people with nut residue touching things.  For example: I wearing long sleeves, I don't touch my face, I never eat or drink in nut contaminated areas, etc.

Oh, one more thing I thought about... using fresh air rather than the recirc on the AC couldn't hurt.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 11:35:07 AM by rebekahc »
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: How do you clean up after eating peanuts?
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 12:35:47 PM »
Yes--so thoughtful of you! I worry about this with almonds in my car.

Clorox and Lysol wipes are known/proven to break down peanut protein.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts