login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Blog post of very severe allergic reaction  (Read 3911 times)

Description: All ends well but I sobbed whole way through

Offline my3guys

Blog post of very severe allergic reaction
« on: May 03, 2017, 09:31:44 AM »
I think this allergic reaction story is important because the mom does a phenominal job getting inside our heads during a reaction, and also advocates for her son in the hospital probably saving his life. She gave the epi quickly, then it sounds like the hospital delayed in giving more epi, and her son ended up in ICU clinging to life. But, he fully recovered. If you think it's worth the read, then go for it. Just have tissues ready. I literally sobbed from beginning to end. It also reminded me of our incident, which probably contributed to my sobbing...

http://pawleysislandposh.blogspot.com/2017/05/what-does-allergy-attack-look-like.html?m=1

Offline GoingNuts

Re: Blog post of very severe allergic reaction
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 09:37:05 AM »
NOT going to read this at work. I'll save this for later.  :'(
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline gvmom

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 11:14:26 AM »
You know, I've been reading reaction stories now for about 16 years.  I read through them, going along, seeing if I can find all of the points at which a wrong step was made, things to remember to put in our own ways of doing things to avoid possible reactions.  I always try to read with two brains.... the technical and the Mom.  I always think I can get through reading these without crying.  I figured I could do that with this one. 

But, you know when how sometimes you just are reading along, then you read something.... it could be a sentence... a sentiment or something... and then there is no turning back... you cry.... well.... it was when I read this that I needed my tissue:

She's scared.  She shouldn't be here.  None of us should be here.

It is a good blog posting.  I'm glad the Mom was willing to share what happened, I'm glad she wrote it well because I think it helped communicate A LOT about the entire situation, and I guess I'll have to second making sure you have tissues when you read it.  Thanks for linking my3guys.   

"...who knew that Black History Month was really about an Orange White guy" ~gvmom
"...but HILLARY!" is not ACTUALLY a legal defense in the real world.  ~gvmom
"Don't feed the trolls; nothing fuels them so much." ~Oscar Wilde
Trump=Idiot https://twitter.com/spikedcranium/status/966768001943875584

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 06:03:20 PM »
"The best way I can describe it is to imagine putting your child on a roller coaster and just as it's about to head downhill and turn upside down they whisper that they forgot to put on their seat belt and you're standing 100 feet below on the ground.  Helpless.  They could be absolutely totally fine or the bottom could fall out."

:thud:

I would give up my life in a heartbeat to never hear of another reaction again.  For anyone's child.  Seriously.

Wow.  Thanks for sharing this. 

N.E. US

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 07:21:56 AM »
DD's biphasic reactions start with that tell tale itching.  It is such an alert for me and it's scary how fast things turn after it starts.

I wish I could say I don't know how she feels.

Offline my3guys

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2017, 06:30:26 PM »
Hugs PurpleCat.

One of the many things that struck me was how she went back and forth in her mind -- he's fine; he's having a reaction; thinking of going back to the hospital. I've done that back and forth.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2017, 06:45:43 PM »
Exactly. The rationalization, the trying to make everything normal. All of it.
N.E. US

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2017, 12:38:59 AM »
I haven't clicked the link or read the article because it will likely stir up my PTSD, but I am happy that more of these realistic stories are being posted.  Many of them involve that cyclical thought process of doubt.  Food Allergy Canada's blog has posted a few of these stories recently as well.  I don't think allergists and doctors really understand this part of a reaction, so the more we make others aware that it is a normal response (though the answer should always be: if at all in doubt, go to the hospital!) perhaps the more people will be able to recognize it as such in those critical moments.  Above all, everyone needs an action plan and learn to follow it.  (This coming from one of the worst offenders.  Do as I say, not as I do.  :hiding: )
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum