FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: My sulfite reactions- unusual- what to do?  (Read 4664 times)


Offline Wayfinder

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 1
My sulfite reactions- unusual- what to do?
« on: May 15, 2017, 12:30:22 AM »
I've been allergic to sulfites for years.  Allergic to egg whites (but not the yolks), allergic to most wines, allergic to any food with "sulfites" added.

However, my reactions seem different from what most people report.   I first get an itching at the back of my throat.  That's the tell-tale sign.  After a couple of hours I start getting the symptoms of "the worst cold you've ever had in your life".  If I let it go unchecked it can hospitalize me-- but it's all focused on my throat and sinuses. 

I have noted on other forums that sulfites have a tendency to drain the body of vitamin Bs.  So I've been treating this with repeated doses of sublingual B for the 3 or 4 days it takes to get over it. 

My main question:  is there a more effective way to take it out-- some sort of anti-sulfite counter-agent I could take to break down the chemical or disable it in my system?  If not, an effective treatment that will prevent its negative effects?   Aside from "Benadryl" (I don't react well to benadryl), suggestions would be very welcome.  Thanks!