FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Hawaii  (Read 6683 times)

Description: Island of Oahu

Offline spacecanada

Hawaii
« on: June 08, 2017, 03:01:48 PM »
We are going to Disney's Aulani resort on Oahu for a week in October.  We have several reservations made at the Disney restaurants and am wondering if anyone here has other suggestions, knows what might be safe, or things to look out for?  (Macadamia nuts are everywhere!)

I just found out that some leis are made from nuts.

General Hawaii travel tips and suggestions welcome too.  The last time were there was 2005.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
Re: Hawaii
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 06:19:25 PM »
Bring your own snorkel.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 07:53:17 PM »
Bring your own snorkel.
You bet!  We bought some at Walmart in Maui on our previous trip.  My face is a weird shape and regular adult snorkel gear gives me a big bruise between my eyebrows, but the kids set we bought doesn't.  Cannot wait to snorkel in the lagoon and the private reef at Aulani.

Offline Stinky10

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 03:26:03 PM »
I've been to Oahu a bunch but have spent most of the time on the north shore - I like the less touristy places

I like Haleiwa a lot.  There is a great soap shop there - The Soap Cellar - all handmade stuff (she wasn't great about understanding questions about cross contamination the last time I was there though)

For food we mostly did our own as we get condos with kitchens

we go to the farmers markets

mac nuts are everywhere - peanuts not so much

we done snorkel trips on boats = and have been pleasantly surprised that the boat people = Capitan and crew are usually really well versed in anaphylaxis

Hawaii time - it's all on Hawaii time

Spanking cats for 40 years!

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 04:06:56 PM »
Looking forward to hearing more...a friend just asked if we would be interested in renting a house with them next year for vacation. 

Location recommendations welcome!

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 06:55:21 PM »
I am really curious about local farmers markets and where to find them - any tips for searching ahead of time?  Costco and Walmart are on our grocery list now, but if we can get some local produce first that would be ideal. 

Hezz - our friends rent a condo in Kaua'i every year and love it.  I can send you a link if you like.  Most condos are private rental groups and co-ops.

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2017, 09:16:51 AM »
Here's a list of Farmer's Markets...probably need to do some research to make sure they still exist, some will have their own websites

https://www.localharvest.org/search.jsp?lat=20.8&lon=-157.2&scale=5&st=13&ty=1

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 09:01:44 AM »
Thank you, hezz!  I will do some research later this summer, closer to our trip.  Yay! 

Offline Stinky10

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 12:16:35 PM »
Space every place we've stayed has included the local market day/times in their welcome books/material

Hez - I've been to every island.....what do you want to know?  :)

I always book on vbro which I think is now home away - I read tons of reviews and don't read any reviews written by honeymooners, vow renewals or the like - the love everything!

Think about beach access - traffic - the islands all have one major road around them - except Kauai - traffic is an issue

my favs are the north shore of Oahu and Maui - in Maui Keihe (?) is nice and affordable

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2017, 08:46:42 PM »
Don't have dates yet, will have to wait for our DH's to bid for their vacations.  But when things slow down this summer will start browsing locations.  I haven't talked with my friend again to see what they want yet either. 

Offline Stinky10

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2017, 11:53:11 AM »
its hard to find a place to balance people needs - although I'm usually dealing with an elderly woman and a young boy and DH - so I watch for access/steps - road crossing etc.

anyway it's fun but stressful to search and I've noticed in Hawaii especially they don't update their calendars very often - and  if there are surfing events things can get booked up - so you are best to reach out to a few of them

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2018, 09:24:53 PM »
We are booked into a rental house in Lahaina.  There will be 7 of us, 4 adults and 3 kids (ages 16,13 and 4.5).  Most likely we will cook most dinners...the other family are extreme paleo eaters (or at least the husband is). 

The property has 3 pools and sometimes the beach washes out but there is one at the end of the property that can be walked to.

I know we will want to go for a hike...think one that a 4 year old can do.
The guys will probably bike one day.
I would like to snorkel.

Looked into spas...way way way too expensive so we will skip that.  My friend and I will just have to find something that us girls can do.

I know there is a Safeway so that's good.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 09:28:10 PM by hezzier »

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2018, 10:13:36 PM »
Surfing!!  There's a really nice and easy to beach to learn on in Lahaina.   We took lessons at Maui Wave Riders: http://www.mwrlahaina.com 
They have lessons for kids too, though I don't know if there's a minimum age.

Pacific Whale Foundation is an incredible organisation that offers some excellent tours:
https://www.pacificwhale.org
We enjoyed snorkelling with turtles and seeing the dolphins.

As for hikes... there's the observatory but I'm not sure that's preschooler-friendly.  If I think of any I'll post them here.

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2018, 08:02:24 AM »
Thanks Space!

He's a pretty active 4 year old so I'm sure he can handle more than I think.  But we will leave that up to his parents...we are game for whatever they find.

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2018, 12:08:44 PM »
Ok, so vacation is coming up...last time we traveled to CA, I had a hard time finding bread that was safe (or that I knew was safe) for DS.  I've started looking since bread can be a regional item...

Anyone have any suggestions?

Looks like I cannot get Pepperidge Farms which is all we buy here.

Looks like I can get Canyon Bakehouse at Target and King's Hawaiian at Whole Foods.

Any other brands to look into?