imagelogin
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Cashew Challenge  (Read 17973 times)

Description:

Offline GoingNuts

Re: Cashew Challenge
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2017, 08:18:54 PM »
I'm sorry Ciel.  It does sound like Xcontam was a real possibility; it's a shame to go through all that and still not have a clear answer.   :console:
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline gvmom

« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2017, 03:39:47 PM »
I agree with GN.... I'm sorry Ciel!  Are you on any food allergy websites that are Canadian specific?  There used to be one, but I can't remember what it was off hand.  Maybe someone on there would be able to give you ideas for sourcing cross contamination free nuts. 

I have to say, the sort of interesting thing that stood out to me in your latest post was that you also get weird stuff from mangos.  I'm not an expert on all the cross reactive stuff, but mango/cashew/pistachio... those all can have some relationship too.   

I really wish the medical/allergy research people would do something about having better testing though.  You are left with uncertainty.... and you aren't alone in that.  There should be a better way to go about this whole process, and I also think allergists should have the pure product on hand for the oral challenges too.  It is sort of weak that they expect patients to try and hunt down this stuff on top of then having to be the guinea pig!
"...who knew that Black History Month was really about an Orange White guy" ~gvmom
"...but HILLARY!" is not ACTUALLY a legal defense in the real world.  ~gvmom
"Don't feed the trolls; nothing fuels them so much." ~Oscar Wilde
Trump=Idiot https://twitter.com/spikedcranium/status/966768001943875584

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2017, 04:38:39 PM »
Bulk bins and Whole Foods....two words and situations I will never trust!

Our Whole Foods provided a "safe" birthday cake for another allergy family in our town.  Holy cow....serious reaction and the bakery said well 'we didn't promise" we do have xxxx in our bakery.

And bulk bins, I've watched them being filled, no way at my Whole Foods they take any precautions and then add the shoppers mixing things up and it's a hot bed or risk.

Also, according to our allergist, pistachio and cashews are in the same botanical family but they are not the same protein makeup.  My DD can now eat cashews, her pistachio numbers are high and our allergist said no to trying to challenge that.

Sorry.  Now I wish I had sent you safe cashews for your challenge.