FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Good easy meal to feed 50?  (Read 3172 times)

Description: no nuts

Offline my3guys

Good easy meal to feed 50?
« on: July 27, 2017, 08:17:32 AM »
My sons and I (with some help) are preparing and cooking a meal for a local charity that assists struggling veterans.

I need a simple meal idea that would be 1 pot with a protein, veggie, and starch. We need to feed 50 on a relatively small budget so it can't be too extravagant.

The idea is to keep the kids involved with chopping veggies etc.

Any of your favorite recipes come to mind oh fabulous SOAK?

Oh, and I'm trying to stay away from Italian food because most of their donated food is Italian and I'd like to give them a break.

Offline hedgehog

Re: Good easy meal to feed 50?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 11:57:14 AM »
Shepard's pie, or some variation on that idea? Meat and veggies of any sort covered with mashed potatoes would be good.

A pot pie? Again, any type of meat and veggies, top it with a crust.

Paella? Chicken and rice?
USA

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 11:18:08 PM »
I'll ask DH. Our church regularly prepares a meal for this size for a homeless shelter. I know we had some standard recipes.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 02:07:23 PM »
When dd went to a shelter to serve meals, we sent two huge pots of soup.  One was chicken noodle, the other minestrone, which I made.  I don't have it anymore, but they'd recommended quantities of items to buy, but it was actually too much for the pot they gave me.  I also googled and found that there are recipes out there for feeding a large group. 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 02:10:54 PM »
Beef stew, chili with cornbread?  Chicken a la king with either rice, crusty bread or orzo.  Taco bar?  Or Fajitas.  Just do the meat and set out big bowls of toppings and tortillas.  Mac and cheese or baked potatoes with toppings and salad.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 02:17:13 PM by becca »
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline my3guys

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 11:09:59 AM »
Thanks becca, mac, and Hedgie. Good ideas! I need to get cranking on this!!