FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Specific Food Allergies > Milk Allergy

Are there any good non-dairy milk substitutes for tea?

(1/2) > >>

Penny:
I'm trying to figure out what is causing my allergic conjunctivitis that is a problem year round, no matter where I am. This rules out pollens, mold, seasonal allergies.  I'm eliminating foods one at a time. I have milk in my tea every single day....so it's logical to eliminate milk for a while and see what happens.

Question:  is there such a thing as a good milk substitute for tea? Almond milk is out as I'm PA. My other option is black tea. UGH.

Thanks for any suggestions.  :)

gvmom:
Have you tried coconut milk?  Or soy milk?  There are a few different brands out there that you might have luck with.  We never had any luck with rice milk in coffee or tea.

What type of tea are you drinking?  That can affect things too as far as how the milk blends.

What about something like coffee-mate?  Stuff like that is typically mostly corn syrup .... but... it will blend into things.  I do know we had some sort of coconut creamer along those lines that we got to try once, but we forgot about it in the fridge, so I don't know if it was any good.

Do you have Trader Joe's or something equitable?  That would be the store I'd go to for seeing about different possibilities.

Penny:
. oops - double-post.

Penny:

--- Quote from: gvmom on August 18, 2017, 02:23:17 PM ---Have you tried coconut milk?  Or soy milk?  There are a few different brands out there that you might have luck with.  We never had any luck with rice milk in coffee or tea.

What type of tea are you drinking?  That can affect things too as far as how the milk blends.

What about something like coffee-mate?  Stuff like that is typically mostly corn syrup .... but... it will blend into things.  I do know we had some sort of coconut creamer along those lines that we got to try once, but we forgot about it in the fridge, so I don't know if it was any good.

Do you have Trader Joe's or something equitable?  That would be the store I'd go to for seeing about different possibilities.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for your reply, gvmom.  I drink English breakfast tea with milk. I didn't think of coconut milk. To me, coconut milk is the thin liquid that comes straight out of a coconut...but I'm guessing there's a milk version of it.? I think I'll steer away from soy milk as it's a high allergen.  I don't think they have Coffee Mate here but perhaps there's something similar. We have a store here called Nosh - not a TJ's but probably a good place to start looking. Good excuse for a shopping expedition this afternoon  ;D

When I was a kid, I had an oral allergy to grapes and raisins. I outgrew the allergy but I figured eliminating wine would be a good place to start.  I haven't had any in months and it hasn't made a bit of difference. 

Another question: how long should one go without a food to determine if it's the offender? Three days? A week?  Wondering if allergic conjunctivitis might be preferable to tea without milk.  :-[

Penny:
. another deleted post, I found my answer online.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version