FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Allergy thresholds needed for consumer reassurance  (Read 2346 times)

Description:

Offline eragon

Its OK to have dreams:one day my kids will be legal adults & have the skills to pick up a bath towel.

Offline spacecanada

Re: Allergy thresholds needed for consumer reassurance
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 11:09:52 AM »
Oh, not this again... but I like how they mentioned portion sizes in this article for once!!  That has always been my biggest argument about thresholds, so that's nice to see. 

I'll just hold off my comments because I can get a little 'passionate' about this topic. 
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline gvmom

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 12:33:11 PM »
God knows just how horrible people with allergies are that everyone is so different that companies aren't able to come up with standard thresholds for products.... instead of, oh, I don't know, just having to actually have their product not have allergens in it or having to have ... hmmm.... a high level of processing standards that they stick to themselves.

It really is just so terrible that I can't shove all 3 of my kids into neat little threshold boxes with their allergens.  I am not sure how we've managed over the years to deal with them and their individuality. 

:disappointed:
"...who knew that Black History Month was really about an Orange White guy" ~gvmom
"...but HILLARY!" is not ACTUALLY a legal defense in the real world.  ~gvmom
"Don't feed the trolls; nothing fuels them so much." ~Oscar Wilde
Trump=Idiot https://twitter.com/spikedcranium/status/966768001943875584

Offline StridAst

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 08:29:36 AM »
Then again, even if you could work out a safe amount for one portion. (Which clearly is impossible) There would still be the problem of someone eating two "safe" portions in one meal.  Either a double portion of one food type, or two separate types of food that contained the same allergen.  Nothing will ever beat proper labeling.   Well, nothing short of a cure for all allergies.
StridAst

Reactions to: chickpeas, peanuts, onion, garlic, sunflower, safflower, peas, cherry, almonds and probably soy
Tested positive for, allergy unconfirmed:  beef, carrots, beans, milk, apples, raspberry.
Asthma, EE also

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 10:00:18 AM »
Not to mention my threshold might change depending on time of day eaten, what (or how much) it's eaten with, cooking preparation, illness, other allergens in system, alcohol, hormones, a whim, etc., etc., etc.  >:(

I do think it would be helpful to have regulation about when [specific allergen]-free labels can be used and have standardized meanings for may contain/manufactured in/processed on equipment labels.  I guess those distinctions could be tied to ppm of allergen in one serving of the product.  But until people learn to read labels and see what one serving actually is or gain the self-control to only eat one serving, it's kind of pointless.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.