login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Chocolate-Pumpkin Layer Cake from the NY Times  (Read 2242 times)

Description:

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
Chocolate-Pumpkin Layer Cake from the NY Times
« on: December 17, 2017, 07:01:34 PM »
We had this cake years ago at DH's cousins house and they loved it.  I actually liked it this time...although I think making buttercream is a PIA.  DD picked this for her birthday cake this year.  DH's piece is in the freezer for when he gets home.

Chocolate-Pumpkin Layer Cake

Time: 1 1/2 hrs plus cooling

8 Tbps butter, softened
2 Cup flour, more for dusting
1 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp allspice
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 can of pumpkin
1 pkg enjoy life mini chips

Frost with your favorite chocolate buttercream

Preheat oven to 350.  Grease and flour two 9 inch round cake pans.  Line with parchment paper. Butter and flour the paper.  In a large bowl, whisk flour, all the spices, baking soda, baking powder and salt together.

Using an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar together.  Beat in eggs one at a time.  Stir in pumpkin.  Mixture may look slightly curdled.  Stir in flour mixture about half a cup at a time until smooth.  Fold in chocolate chips.

Divide batter into pans and bake for 30-35 mins in the middle of the oven until springy to the touch and tooth pick comes out clean. Cook cakes in pan for 10 min, then cool cakes completely on a rack.

This is the buttercream recipe I used:
http://www.twosisterscrafting.com/best-chocolate-buttercream-frosting/

This cake stores well in the freezer.  After the first two day, I cut the remaining cake up into servings and individually wrap the slices in saran wrap, then store in a zip lock in the freezer.

Offline Stinky10

Re: Chocolate-Pumpkin Layer Cake from the NY Times
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 06:07:42 PM »
this looks good!  I m ight make it! Thanks Hezz
Spanking cats for 40 years!