FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Egg Drop Challenge  (Read 7904 times)

Description:

Offline MaryM

Egg Drop Challenge
« on: December 07, 2017, 06:17:22 AM »
DS told me his class is doing an egg drop challenge in class.  He is allergic to eggs.  He told his teacher and she told him she'd give him another assignment and he could go to the library.  I am NOT happy.  I have a call in to the guidance counselor who also handles the 504s.  This has been a crappy year in terms of allergies at both kids schools this year and its only December....

Offline GoingNuts

Re: Egg Drop Challenge
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 06:22:38 AM »
 :disappointed:
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 08:30:21 AM »
We did this in HS physics.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 09:02:29 AM »
He is not being given equal access to FAPE.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 09:11:59 AM »
Old-style (not fluorescent) lightbulbs work just as well - even better, actually, because they are more fragile.  Just throwing that out there. 
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline MaryM

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 09:35:12 AM »
We had thought maybe cheap Christmas ornaments...or maybe if the egg is sealed in a zip lock...I am waiting for school to return my call...

Offline MaryM

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 10:27:07 AM »
Allergist said DS can participate as long as he wears gloves...

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 10:54:12 AM »
Thats what my egg-allergic cousin's allergist said too, so all the students wore gloves.  :-/  She was fine.  Their egg didn't break.  She wouldn't have gone near it if it had. 

I still vote for lightbulbs or Christmas ornaments. 

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 03:38:53 PM »
Gloves here to build the project, DD never actually handled the egg, a friend put it in for her.  She went almost all the way!

DS1 won!  His survived the final drop from the top of the fire truck bucket!!!!!

DS2 lost in the first round.

Offline MaryM

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 06:12:56 PM »
So, DS's science teacher called me today to discuss the situation.  She told me that during class DS raised his hand and told her about his egg allergy and she suggested the alternate assignment, etc.  Then, later in class she had thought about it and told him that he could do everything but the drop.  Basically, help build the contraption.  She said he could leave for the drop and they would video the drop for him.  OMG, really?  How did he not tell me this?   I sent a pretty harshly toned email t guidance about it and guidance in turn emailed her about a very upset parent.    I told the teacher that he did not tell me, that he is somewhat forgetful.  I apologized for not reaching out to her first, I should have.  In the end, its all good but I feel badly bc  had DS told me everything, I would not have been as upset and my approach would have been different....

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 07:18:30 PM »
Mary, if latex is ok for the class I have substituted water balloons before.

Offline MaryM

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2017, 02:11:01 PM »
The egg drop was today.. I emailed DS's teacher to ask her to have him text me when it was done.  He did and he and his partner won!

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2017, 05:59:22 PM »
I just watched the Mark Rober video on best egg drop designs (worth a watch) and made me think of this thread. Glad it all went well.