FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Tinned Pumpkin  (Read 3132 times)

Description: Canada

Online spacecanada

Tinned Pumpkin
« on: October 28, 2018, 09:27:46 PM »
Does anyone know of a brand of tinned pumpkin that is made in a top-10-free facility?  At least free from PN, TN, egg, milk, and wheat?  All of the companies I've called have at least one of those in the facility and/or shared lines, most often wheat.   :tongue:

I've called Farmer's Market and ED Smith, the only two companies I can find in our local supermarkets.  I haven't found Libby's, but I don't trust big brands like Nestle, and their generic allergen statements, either. 
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Online spacecanada

Re: Tinned Pumpkin
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 02:02:24 PM »
Still searching... the local grocery chain brands turned out to be made on shared equipment with wheat, too...

Any new ideas?  I have a kabocha squash on the counter to use for now, but they aren't always available and I don't always have an hour to bake a pumpkin to make cookies or custard or whatever. 

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 04:34:58 PM »
Could you sub sweet potato? Those are pretty easy to boil or microwave and taste pretty similar in dessert preparations (according to the ‘is it sweet potato pie or pumpkin pie challenge’ at DH’s family thanksgiving every year).
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Online spacecanada

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 05:20:52 PM »
Oh, interesting!  I have heard of sweet potato pie from people here but never tasted it, and had no idea it would make a good substitute for pumpkin.  I thought they would be very different.  Huh.  Mashed sweet potato is super easy and quick to make; I could totally do that.  Thanks so much!

I have sweet potatoes at home right now even, and other ingredients to make pumpkin pie.  I'm excited to try this out this weekend!

Online spacecanada

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 10:23:40 PM »
Someone in my local allergy group also suggested pureed carrots as a substitute for tinned pumpkin, along with this recipe: 
https://www.craftycookingmama.com/carrot-pie-perfect-fall-holiday-pie/?fbclid=IwAR07pAAQAGyRh3gbIsNgoJe2EAK2nOuxz8WYVI0aeAjJKYJhm3bWNURS1D0

I wonder how it tastes in comparison.  I guess I'll have to make both and compare. 

Offline candyguru

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2019, 09:08:22 PM »
We used ED Smith in the past as there is no mention of peanuts on the labelling though I do see it contains wheat.

INGREDIENTS:
Pumpkin, sugar, water, spices (contain wheat flour), salt, vegetable oil, caramel colour.
-----------------------------------------------------------
CANADA, land of maple syrup and poutine
Me:  peanuts, ragweed
DD1:  PRACTICALLY EVERYTHING NOW! peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, eggs, wheat, lentils/peas/beans, leaf mould
DD2:  milk (and avoiding peanuts)

Online spacecanada

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2019, 11:46:18 PM »
It seems so strange to have WHEAT in tinned pumpkin.  Alas, it must be popular, since every single brand of 100% pure pumpkin (not the pie filling) sold in my local stores, every single one is made on shared equipment with wheat.  After calling and checking seven different brands, and then donating seven tins of pumpkin to my local food bank, I have since given up.  (Hey, I was hopeful and really craving pumpkin.)

I still have ingredients to make pumpkin pie in the fridge and cupboard.  I should really give sweet potato or steamed carrots a try one of these days - maybe do a comparison of both.