FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: First-time reaction on a plane  (Read 4684 times)

Description:

Offline spacecanada

First-time reaction on a plane
« on: March 01, 2018, 09:07:04 AM »
Saw this on Facebook this morning:
https://www.facebook.com/fvalorosoingrassia/posts/10212555999669591

American Airlines has ampules of epinephrine and syringes onboard every plane. I wish people would at least recognize that instead of bashing them for not having actual EpiPens (or other autoinjector) - they just don't last as long (expiry).   Glad this kid is ok and got the help he needed.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline gvmom

Re: First-time reaction on a plane
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 02:05:29 PM »
It didn't sound like they did anything with ampules & syringes in the story.  The impression was that they got epipens from other passengers.

That aside, I think that stories like this one should be plastered everywhere rather than what other nonsense floats around as news these days.

The child in the story looked older, and it would be good for the general public to realize that food allergies can happen to anyone, anytime, anywhere.  There are so many that would bash food allergy families wanting to fly.... and trying to do so safely. 

I'm glad that this child ended up okay. 
"...who knew that Black History Month was really about an Orange White guy" ~gvmom
"...but HILLARY!" is not ACTUALLY a legal defense in the real world.  ~gvmom
"Don't feed the trolls; nothing fuels them so much." ~Oscar Wilde
Trump=Idiot https://twitter.com/spikedcranium/status/966768001943875584

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 02:15:00 PM »
Agreed.

Why wasn't the nurse who came to help this boy provided with the onboard medical kit with more epinephrine?  They did use an EpiPen from someone else, and collected a few others from other passengers... Which seems a bit strange to me.  (Though the photo shows a stethoscope, which either the nurse had or was from a medical kit somewhere... There are a few unanswered questions, as there always are.)
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline ctmartin

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 03:28:13 PM »

MANY unanswered questions ... how long was the flight? (origination?/destination?), at what point did the reaction happen during the flight? (which would answer the question of how long he had symptoms), how long after initial symptoms before epi was administered? were multiple epipens required? and finally, once they landed, what did the medical attention he received entail? (besides checking vitals because, once again, with stories like this, those not "in the know" think: "boy has reaction, boy gets epi, boy is fine.")

That being said, I am very happy this boy is OK and I agree that (if true about no epis on board) this story needs to be circulated and American needs to seriously step up their game!!

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 10:26:33 AM »
Do NOT read the comments on the Yahoo version of this article.  Just.  Don't. 

That said, the flight originated in Aruba, and was headed to NY.  They offered an emergency landing in the DR, which leads me to think it happened fairly early in the flight. 

And if AED's are available everywhere, why aren't Epipens (or Auvi Q's, which would be better since they give verbal directions)?

Thank goodness this boy is OK.  Nothing scarier than a reaction on a plane.  BTDT.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline gvmom

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 11:19:38 AM »
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/mom-boy-suffered-near-fatal-allergic-reaction-flight-says-airline-didnt-enough-203654081.html

Actually, since you said not to, I HAD to then.... cause.... well.... it isn't like most of us haven't seen them before and know just how horrible people are. 

I did appreciate the info in the article though.  There was more. 

Of course, I do love it when you read this type of thing:

“In the airport, I asked a manager to please stop serving nuts on our connecting flight,” said the mom. “He said he couldn’t do that because it would be an infringement on the rights of other passengers. He also advised me that if I told the crew on the connecting flight about Luca’s reaction, they would send me to the hospital.”

Because, everyone knows right there in the Constitution, squeezed between the 1st and 2nd Amendments is Amendment 1 1/2.... "The right to eat nuts on airplanes...."

All the people who would call our kids "Snowflakes" cause they need special treatment somehow don't get just how rich it is that they whine about having their 1/2c of nuts.... rock on Veruca!

"...who knew that Black History Month was really about an Orange White guy" ~gvmom
"...but HILLARY!" is not ACTUALLY a legal defense in the real world.  ~gvmom
"Don't feed the trolls; nothing fuels them so much." ~Oscar Wilde
Trump=Idiot https://twitter.com/spikedcranium/status/966768001943875584