Food Allergy Support is now on Twitter. Follow us @FASupport. You may also follow our Tweets in our new global footer at the bottom of the page here at FAS!

FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Gout diet  (Read 892 times)

Description:

Offline hedgehog

Gout diet
« on: March 26, 2018, 08:49:04 PM »
This isnít for me. My friend went to the doctor today and it was confirmed that his foot pain is gout. I often make food for him. This is the hiking friend, so picnic lunches when we hike, dinners with our trivia team, and I usually bring breakfast if I sleep over at their house (which I will do next week). So I am looking for ideas if anyone is familiar with what foods are allowed and what should be limited.
USA

Offline hedgehog

Re: Gout diet
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 03:43:37 PM »
No help from SOAK? Well, I did figure out a breakfast.  I saw from a few reliable sources that cherries are supposed to be good for gout, so I am making Julia Child's clafouti, and thinking of increasing the cherries in the recipe.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/food/2012/08/11/julia-childs-cherry-clafouti-recipe/13367/
USA

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 04:41:23 PM »
I think youíre supposed to avoid meat and shellfish, particularly shrimp?  I think prurines are the culprit?
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 09:08:07 PM »
Yeah.  And his favorite food is bacon.  In fact, at a brunch buffet over the weekend he indulged in bacon, sausage, shrimp, various other foods, and then had a flare up. 
USA

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2018, 08:46:00 AM »
So I could just post what we eat at home. No meat and especially no shrimp!  Lol.

Itís not hard to avoid meat.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2018, 09:43:34 AM »
Yeah, I could do some meatless stuff.  But I am a committed carnivore, and loves his meat, though for years he has been saying people in general, and himself in particular, should eat less meat. So yes, some meatless, but sometimes I need to include meat, definitely.
USA

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 10:16:00 PM »
My personal thoughts are that his day to day eating habits are up to him.  That said, I understand you wish to try to accommodate the healthiest options for your friend. Iíd say try your best to concoct recipes with the limitations in mind.  I think if itís an occasional meal, and you use small amounts of offending  foods, youíll be fine.  Gout is more about a cumulative issue of foods, predisposition, and, if known, medication that controls it.
dd with peanut, tree nut and egg allergy(can do some baked items)