FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Looking for vacation ideas  (Read 4296 times)

Description:

Offline hedgehog

Looking for vacation ideas
« on: April 15, 2018, 04:36:28 PM »
No allergy issues, for myself and DD (who will be 23), one week in July.  There must be alcohol.  Budget of about $4000.  At this point just looking for general ideas.  Recommendations?
USA

Offline GoingNuts

Re: Looking for vacation ideas
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 04:51:40 PM »
Domestic or International? 

If you're talking International, I love, love, love Ireland.  Amazing hiking and sightseeing.  And alcohol is plentiful, LOL. 

DS and his GF just came back from Portugal, which they loved (we spent our honeymoon there, almost 31 years ago, so I don't have any current advice there).

We tried to do Newfoundland a couple of years ago, but our flights were cancelled due to bad weather and couldn't be rescheduled in a timeframe that made sense, so we went to the North Fork of LI instead.  Great food, lots of wineries, great kayaking.  We made lemonade out of lemons, and had a marvelous time.

I don't know if they are still doing this promotion, but Icelandair had a deal where you could fly to any of their destinations and do a couple of days layover in Iceland at no extra charge. 
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 05:03:18 PM »
Friends had seen that deal, which is why Iceland came up to begin with.
USA

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 05:16:33 PM »
DH and I are thinking of going to Croatia this fall. 
N.E. US

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 11:00:11 PM »
It depends on what you want to do, the purpose of the trip, and what you want to get out of it.  That could sway my suggestion from Portugal to Costa Rica, or even South Carolina (Hilton Head).  Or, possibly a cruise. 

I am leery of giving suggestions without knowing many more details.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 06:08:11 AM »
The main purpose of the trip is to spend a week with my DD.  We don't see each other very much any more, since she lives in Phoenix, and I'm in New England.  We both like drinking, hiking, art museums (we have other non-vacation things in common, but that is what comes to mind for vacation stuff).  She is very adventurous (this is the girl who went to Morocco on her own because she thought it would be a cool place to see--and she had a great time).  While I am not quite as adventurous as she is, I am open to something new or different.
USA

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 08:47:43 AM »
Based on that, I would recommend Scandinavia, Banff (Alberta), Seattle, Colorado (for the hiking, not sure about art), or Costa Rica.  Portland and Victoria might be great options too. 

What suggestions does your DD have?

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 09:49:35 AM »
Several years ago, my sister and I took my mom on this Alaskan cruise.  https://www.alaskandreamcruises.com/cruises/alaskas-glacier-bay-and-island-adventure (we sailed the Admiralty Dream). I know it's not in the price range you gave, but it's well worth it if it's ever within your range.

It's a very small ship and a much different experience from one of those ginormous cruises.  It was the best experience!  I can't recommend it for allergy families, but since I was an adult I was able to make it work for me with only one (manageable) shellfish cross contamination reaction.  I also would not recommend this trip for children under the age of 15 or so.  Our itinerary was a bit different than the one they're currently using, but I'd be happy to tell you more about our trip if you're interested.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 09:52:10 AM by rebekahc »
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 10:02:15 AM »
Based on that, I would recommend Scandinavia, Banff (Alberta), Seattle, Colorado (for the hiking, not sure about art), or Costa Rica.  Portland and Victoria might be great options too. 

What suggestions does your DD have?

The only definite is drinking.  Hiking and art are things we often do on vacation, but not necessary.  I asked her and she had no suggestions yet.   She is more well traveled that I am.  She has been to Cuba, much of Europe (she went away almost every weekend she was in France for a semester, plus took a couple of trips there with DH), Morocco, as well as various trips within US and Canada.  It might be nice to go someplace she hasn't been yet. 
USA

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 06:31:02 PM »
I was thinking Italy.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2018, 06:40:57 PM »
What are your (both of you) alcoholic beverage of choice? 

I don't drink at all and know little about the subject so I'm really not the one to talk to for recommendations, but I know vineyards are a HUGE thing up here in BC and down the west coast of America.  The Mediterranean is big on wines and spirits as well.  Germany is well-known for their beers, of course. 

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2018, 06:57:29 PM »
DD doesn't drink beer at all, and its not my preference.  We both like wine, as well as mixed drinks. 

I have been to Italy twice, she has been once--the time she went was a family vacation.  Yes we all drank a lot of wine there, even DS.  But its been done.

I have thought of US wineries as an option. 
USA

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2018, 07:30:46 PM »
Napa?  Then some good hiking among the Redwoods?
N.E. US

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2018, 10:06:57 AM »
Good idea GN. We lived in the Napa Valley for 6 years...so I can certainly furnish a list of wineries and restaurants that are great.

There is plenty of hiking within Napa County as well as within driving distance.  After the wild fires, I do not know what the status of the Sonoma area.  Great food as well. 

Muir Woods
Mt. Tamalpais
Kayaking in Marin
Point Reyes
Tennessee Valley
Mt. Saint Helena
Lots of spas in the area...Calistoga tends to be a little more affordable for this, also know for their mud baths.

Offline Meganx5

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2018, 01:30:26 AM »
Not sure if you've already went or not, but a YouTubers I watch went here and it looked SO beautiful and relaxing.

https://www.bluelagoon.com/