login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Is it possible to eat a vegan(ish) diet with peanut and treenut allergies  (Read 2165 times)

Description:

Offline Megan Elizabeth

I’m allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, mango, banana, kiwi and avocado. I know a lot of cheeses are made from cashews, etc with vegan diets.  Has anyone successfully went vegan with allergies?

Offline spacecanada

Totally vegan here, with allergies to a long list of foods including peanuts and tree nuts, but coconut is ok.  We eat plenty of seeds (from Libre Naturals, Gerbs, or Sunbutter), fruits, vegetables, quinoa, rice, oats, tofu, etc.  Pretty much everything we eat is whole foods and fresh. 

I haven't found a completely tree nut-free milk alternative other than tinned coconut milk, but we generally only use it for baking and ice cream.  As for cheese, Daiya is a vegan substitute that isn't nut-based and many people like it, but it is heavily processed. 

I would suggest you start with a good vegan cookbook like Eat Clean Live Well, Veganomicon, or Vive le Vegan and see if you like those recipes and feel like they would sustain you.  Chocolate Covered Katie (website and book) also has some incredible recipes that we love to pieces.  I'm very athletic and find the vegan diet works well for me, but it doesn't sustain everyone. 
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
I would  love to hit the like button on your post, space.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts