FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Epi Shortage - Time Sensitive, Please read  (Read 17814 times)

Description:

Offline Janelle205

Re: Epi Shortage - Time Sensitive, Please read
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2019, 01:57:43 AM »
Many people who have completed OIT (on maintenance) still have to carry EpiPens. OIT builds tolerance but the person still remains allergic in many cases, so a large dose could still cause anaphylaxis. This varies by individual and OIT protocols, though.  I wouldn’t expect the demand to decrease significantly any time soon.

On the demand side of things, I know that my pulmonologist has been prescribing more of his allergic asthma patients epis because increased pollen levels mean increased allergen load, which in turn can lead to more severe attacks from exposure with an already stressed system.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2019, 06:07:13 PM »
According to my pharmacist today (who double checked), Auvi-Q has now been discontinued in Canada and EpiPens are still in restricted supply. 😡
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2019, 01:51:37 PM »
That’s not good

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2020, 09:26:31 AM »
So got a letter in April saying we have some Epi Pens on the defective list...most of them expired in April so wasn't too worried about it since we had Auvi-Qs also.  Most of those have now expired too...I know we can use them after the expiration date so again not too worried.  DD had her allergist appt and asked for a new Auvi-Q prescription...found out we needed a pre-authorization, so made all the phone calls for that...it was denied.  Our insurance company wants us to use Epi pen or a generic, I'm sure due to cost.  Called around to see if any pharmacies have Epi Pens, our normal military pharmacy does not currently have any in stock, our regular pharmacy does so I've called the allergist's office asking for 2 prescriptions one for each kid for Epi Pens.