imagelogin
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Sad news.. Florida teen dies of peanut reaction  (Read 3190 times)

Description:

Offline candyguru

-----------------------------------------------------------
CANADA, land of maple syrup and poutine
Me:  peanuts, ragweed
DD1:  PRACTICALLY EVERYTHING NOW! peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, eggs, wheat, lentils/peas/beans, leaf mould
DD2:  milk (and avoiding peanuts)

Offline GoingNuts

Re: Sad news.. Florida teen dies of peanut reaction
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2018, 07:32:08 PM »
Ugh, I know.  I’d love to know what she ate.  That poor family.   :'(
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline candyguru

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2018, 09:05:19 PM »
Ugh, I know.  I’d love to know what she ate.  That poor family.   :'(

It mentioned there was peanut butter in something she ate. Maybe a cookie... chili... sandwich... mole sauce...  so many risky items.

This is very tragic and sad... 
DD1:  PRACTICALLY EVERYTHING NOW! peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, eggs, wheat, lentils/peas/beans, leaf mould

Offline ctmartin

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2018, 02:10:51 PM »

I have read in one source, but it was not yet confirmed by the family, that she had eaten a chips ahoy cookie that contained peanut chips rather than chocolate.  So devastating  :'(

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2018, 06:51:30 PM »
 :-[

Offline ctmartin

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2018, 07:52:18 PM »

and another ... https://www.gofundme.com/in-memory-of-max-mcglinchey

can't ... handle ... this ....

Offline candyguru

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2018, 12:17:00 PM »
This was posted by Alexi’s family on FB:

Our hearts are broken and we are still in shock. Our whole lives we dedicated to keeping our child safe from one ingredient, peanuts.

On Monday June 25, our 15 year old daughter, Alexi Ryann Stafford, while at a friends house, made a fatal choice. There was an open package of Chips Ahoy cookies, the top flap of the package was pulled back and the packaging was too similar to what we had previously deemed “safe” to her. She ate one cookie of chewy Chips Ahoy thinking it was safe because of the “red” packaging, only to find out too late that there was an added ingredient.... Reese peanut butter cups/chips. She started feeling tingling in her mouth and came straight home. Her condition rapidly deteriorated. She went into Anaphylactic shock, stopped breathing and went unconscious. We administered 2 epi pens while she was conscious and waited on paramedics for what felt like an eternity.

She died within 1& 1/2  hour of eating the cookie.
As a mother who diligently taught her the ropes of what was okay to ingest and what was not, I feel lost and angry because she knew her limits and was aware of familiar packaging, she knew what  “safe” was. A small added indication on the pulled back flap on a familiar red package wasn’t enough to call out to her that there was “peanut product”  in the cookies before it was too late. I want to share our story with everyone because we want to spread awareness. The company has different colored packaging to indicate chunky, chewy, or regular but NO screaming warnings about such a fatal ingredient to many people. Especially children.

It’s important to us to spread awareness so that this horrible mistake doesn’t happen again.

Please share
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline my3guys

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2018, 09:50:51 PM »
https://www.today.com/video/15-year-old-has-fatal-allergic-reaction-to-peanuts-megyn-kelly-roundtable-1279190083910

Good panel discussion about this. Megyn Kelly admitted she was sometimes annoyed by food restrictions given by school, but she realized this is a good reminder that one child's desire for peanut butter doesn't supercede a child's right to live. Yep, I cried.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2018, 06:12:17 AM »
Megyn just scored big points with me.   That was a terrific segment, and I seriously appreciate that they did it. 
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US