login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Kale  (Read 4300 times)

Description:

Offline SilverLining

Kale
« on: September 12, 2011, 05:57:34 PM »

Online spacecanada

Re: Kale
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 09:03:34 PM »
The original link is no longer active.  I have an abundance of kale growing in my garden.  It's beautiful and tasty, but I'm running out of things to make with it besides kale chips, salads, smoothies, and sautéed greens. 

What is your favourite kale recipe?
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 09:34:13 PM »
I like kale in soup, like a minestrone (or a ham and bean soup, but I know you are vegetarian).
USA

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2019, 12:00:27 PM »
Well, it is a salad but one I love!  Recently served it at my son's grad party and there was nothing left of a triple batch!  Making it for another family party next week.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/228338/super-summer-kale-salad/

Online spacecanada

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2019, 06:08:10 PM »
Both the soup and a new salad combination are great ideas, thank you!
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline nameless

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2019, 01:50:03 PM »
I have an easily tailored kale apple potato salad that came from https://www.thegunnysack.com/ but she's since removed it (I re-found it on Web Archive, thankfully!) I messed with her original recipe to have less mayo.

I make this and have it for lunch. I've made it for potlucks and it seems to all get eaten up. It's best when kale is in season. I used to grow baby red curly kale (looks purple, ruffled edges) and it rocked in this. The kale needs to be crunchy so curly green or red works great and I just rip up the edges in to bite-sized pieces. I think dinosaur kale would work too since it's crispy.

These ratios are from her recipe, but honestly I'm not sure what I usually do. More kale bites than potato bites, and more potato than apple.

Ingredients:
* 3/4 cup in total plain greek yogurt and mayo, whatever ratio you like. I do 1/2 cup Fage 0% plain (it's the thickest) and 1/4 cup Hellman's olive oil mayo. I've also done just 2 TB mayo and the rest greek yogurt.
* 1 Tbsp. Grey Poupon Dijon Mustard
* 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
* 2 lb. new red potatoes, diced into 1" pieces and cooked, and cooled quickly in ice water and drained. No need to peel.
* 4 cups coarsely chopped curly kale
* 2 granny smith apples, chopped
* 1/3 cup small diced red onions

Instructions

1. Whisk the yogurt, mayo, cider vinegar, and dijon mustard. Taste -- needs more zing? dash more vinegar...needs more mayo taste? add more...too bland? add more mustard 
2. In a really really big bowl, combine the potatoes, kale, apple, and onion. Toss lightly to get them all mixed up. Dump on half the dressing and mix gently, then add more dressing, mix, until satisfied. Sometimes I make more dressing than the recipe b/c I like it extra goopy.
3. Refrigerate overnight. Something magical happens when it gets to sit for 8 hrs. This isn't a "make it and serve it" --- it's fine, but the next day it rocks.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 05:46:31 PM by nameless »
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England