imagelogin
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: HS 504 plan  (Read 5160 times)

Description:

Offline MaryM

HS 504 plan
« on: October 22, 2018, 10:06:57 AM »
DS has had a 504 since Kindergarten.  The HS called to set up a 504 meeting.  For those of you whop have had 504 plans for high school, what are some things I should request?  His middle school plan was pretty basic and I have no idea what to request at this new level.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: HS 504 plan
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 12:25:05 PM »
Mary I may be able to look for it this evening, but there are HS threads and I think a thread that links to those threads. I believe I included DS 504 from 9th grade (full text) in one. I can look tonight. When is the meeting?
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline MaryM

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 12:41:37 PM »
Thanks Mac!  I’ll look for it.

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 06:05:02 PM »
We dropped ours for HS.  The admins and teachers in our district are very proactive and supportive, we are fortunate.

2 things that I remember having to address in high school.  Science labs (one included burning food...yes, food - burning nuts was changed to burning crackers) and an incident with a bomb threat when students were told to evacuate without taking backpacks or belongings.  They were bused to another school in our district.   The school now has protocols in place so if belongings are left behind by directive to be sure emergency meds travel with the nurse.  This includes other meds besides epi pens.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 12:42:58 AM »
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline MaryM

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2018, 07:49:46 AM »
Thanks, Mac!

Online my3guys

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2018, 04:24:17 PM »
MaryM— our 504 plan is pretty basic. All teachers are trained to administer. His school has been great! No issues.

Offline ajasfolks2

• Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2018, 10:07:44 PM »
We kept our son's 504 in HS just so we would have in place as we worked toward accommodations in college.  Having 504 in place already seemed to make a postive difference when it came to college, though it should not have mattered.  Qualifying disability should be qualifying disability, KWIM?

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline ajasfolks2

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2018, 10:11:27 PM »
Extracurricular events listed and/or referred to --so that meals avail for prom, homecoming, other events known outright.

Reminder that a project could NOT be solely food based and/or must have NON food option with no down grade.  ALSO scrap the stupid bring in food taste testing (esp for foreign language classes) and instead bring printed recipes to share so others might make.  Can make at home and take photos, plus get family review if want.

Coverage for sports so no unsafe food on bus at night as coming home from late practice or game / event.

Coverage for sports such that banquet would have safe food and/or not be high risk.

Just off the top of my head .. . . .

Offline ajasfolks2

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2018, 10:13:13 PM »
OH!!!

Biggest accom -- pulling the blatant nut and peanut containing foods/snacks OUT of the vending machines in entire school.

Cafeteria offerings already peanut and nut free, with exception of a very few "may contains" or share facility.

Offline MaryM

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2018, 06:18:59 AM »
Thanks everyone!  The meeting is this afternoon.  I hadn't thought about accommodations when Lab Band travels to compete or perform!  You guys are the best.

Edited to add that the meeting went well and one of the 504 committee members has a 2yo who ai allergic to eggs and peanuts.  They 3 people I met with really seemed to get it!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 01:16:34 PM by MaryM »

Online my3guys

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2018, 08:22:20 PM »
Glad it went well! It feels like such a gift to have people at school get it doesn’t it?!