imagelogin
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: FA Counselor Network and Directory  (Read 9400 times)

Description:

Offline GoingNuts

FA Counselor Network and Directory
« on: December 28, 2018, 08:00:13 AM »
This was shared by my local FA Support Group:

Good morning!

I wanted to share two useful food allergy mental health resources with you in case it's helpful to your members.

As the mom of a child with a food allergy and a licensed counselor/family therapist, I saw the gap in accessibility to licensed counseling professionals that have food allergy knowledge and understanding. Many individuals and families would love to find a counseling professional that already understands food allergies, but it can be difficult to identify those counselors.

As such, I created two food allergy mental health resources: one for the FA community and one for the licensed counseling community. The Food Allergy Counseling Professionals Networking Group is a place for licensed clinical counseling professionals (and psychology-based FA researchers) who are food allergy knowledgeable/work with food allergies to connect, share, network and collaborate. Within this networking group, in addition to talking about professional topics that help strengthen this niche, we also try to help each other locate a food allergy counselor for individuals and families in other states that reach out to us to inquire about food allergy counseling services, as many of us receive these emails/calls often.

The Food Allergy Counselor Directory is a state-by-state listing of licensed counseling professionals that are food allergy knowledgeable, and is meant to help make it easier for families to find a food allergy counselor. *(In addition to in-person counseling, some counselors also provide distance counseling via online to clients that live within their state, but not the immediate area). 
Associated with this Directory is the Food Allergy Mental Health resources section, filled with links to useful articles and research on the topic of food allergy mental health. This may also prove useful to your members now or as this additional resource continues to grow. 

Help us help you! The Directory is still growing, but the goal is to have licensed counselors with food allergy knowledge listed for each state. If your members are, know of, or have worked with licensed counseling professionals that understand/work with food allergies, I welcome them to reach out to me to let me know and/or encourage them to request to join The Food Allergy Counseling Professionals Networking Group.The stronger the networking group is, the stronger the food allergy counseling niche becomes, and the more accessible we can be to the food allergy community! 

I will close by sharing a recent interview I was asked for by the American Counseling Association's online magazine on how counselors can support those with food allergies. I hope the article helps families feel more understood, helps counseling professionals better understand some of the deeper emotions associated with food allergies, and encourages licensed counselors with food allergy knowledge to market that service to the food allergy community.

Warm regards and Happy Holidays to you and yours,

Tamara Hubbard, MA, LCPC
Gonski Counseling Services
847-957-7575
www.TamaraHubbardLCPC.com
www.FoodAllergyCounselor.com

Use of Email & Notice of Email Confidentiality:
I prefer using email only for basic administrative needs, such as arranging or modifying appointments, and typically reply within 3 business days. Please do not email me content related to your sessions, as this is a non-encrypted email and therefore is not completely secure or confidential. Any email correspondence becomes a part of your medical record.

This email, and any attachments, is intended only for use by the addressee(s) and may contain material that is privileged or confidential in nature. Any distribution, reading, copying or use of this communication and any attachments by anyone other than the addressee, is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this email in error, please immediately notify me by email (by replying to this message), and permanently destroy or delete the original and any copies or printouts of this email and any attachments.

"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline spacecanada

Re: FA Counselor Network and Directory
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 10:43:37 PM »
ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT!!!!!

If this were in Canada, I could definitely recommend two psychologists for this registry.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline FACounselor

Re: FA Counselor Network and Directory
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 04:31:03 PM »
Hi there!

I am Tamara Hubbard, LCPC, the creator of the Food Allergy Counselor Directory and founder of the professional collaboration organization called the Food Allergy Behavioral Health Association (formerly known as the FA Counseling Professionals Network).

I wanted to follow up and thank you for sharing these resources with the community here! I also wanted to share that the Food Allergy Counselor Directory *IS* for the USA and Canada, so if there are food allergy-knowledgeable clinical behavioral health professionals you know of (such as psychologists) in Canada, please feel free to share my website/information with them so they can reach out to me, or you can let me know their names and I will reach out to them. (www.FoodAllergyCounselor.com)

I've had multiple people from Canada, including allergists, reach out in hopes of expanding the listings there, so I would be happy to follow up with any referrals to see if I can make that happen.

Food Allergy Counselor Directory: http://www.foodallergycounselor.com/directory.html
Food Allergy Behavioral Health Association (for clinical professionals): http://www.foodallergycounselor.com/foodallergycounselingnetwork.html
Food Allergy Mental Health-Related Resources: http://www.foodallergycounselor.com/resources.html

Many thanks!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 04:34:21 PM by FACounselor »