login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: The Sandwich Thread  (Read 6121 times)

Description:

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
The Sandwich Thread
« on: July 11, 2015, 10:02:35 AM »
I looked and didn't find a dedicated thread.

I'm wanting to bookmark these "grilled cheese" sandwiches. We may try the Brussels sprouts one today.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jessicamisener/31-grilled-cheeses-that-are-better-than-a-boyfriend?bffbfood&utm_term=4ldqphi#.yykkVgRk0
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: The Sandwich Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 10:14:22 AM »
This looks good if we make our own pesto (which never happens):

Pesto Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 10:40:55 AM »
I made great sandwiches for the teacher luncheon last year.  You could use cheese of some kind, rather than the turkey, and fake bacon crumbles, but the bacon flavor is key.  Actually, smoked gouda would give you the smokey, saltiness of the bacon. 

Turkey, bacon, avocado wraps. I used a flat bread, like Lavash or such, put down some washed and dried green leaf and red leaf lettuce leaves, a slice or two of the turkey, some avocado slices, some Hormel Applewood smoked bacon crumbles, and a drizzle of a mayo I doctored up with garlic, lime, and cilantro.  Rolled it all up.  Yum!  You could put some tomato in there too.  I was trying to make something that would not get soggy.  The lettuce leaves help keep the bread from getting soggy, as long as they are dry.
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 01:46:27 PM »
No. 15 on that list is one of my all-time favorites.  I usually use a good baguette, or Italian, or ciabatta, and I may use raspberries, strawberries or no berries.  And for the chocolate, I use guittard. It is the best breakfast! 
USA

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2015, 02:55:10 PM »
I just made avocado egg salad sandwiches for lunch. The avocado is used instead of mayo. I used chives from our garden, Penzey's 4/S, pepper, and not as much mustard as folks might use (DS and I aren't fond of it that way). But the avocado added a nice flavor. 

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 02:14:01 PM »
#27 looks like a yummy one and like a flavor combo we were discussing at lunch today!

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2015, 02:14:34 PM »
I need to try that egg salad, McC.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 02:01:38 PM »
So we had the Brussels sprouts grilled cheese in that link in the first post. It was pretty good, but next time I would spread a little habanero honey mustard on the bread first.

I roasted the Brussels sprouts and did not use sage, as I am allergic to it. I used Muenster instead of fontina.

I'll say that in our family, we often do open-faced sandwiches with sautéed  finely chopped veggies, often on top of a schmear of honey mustard or Dijon, topped with some shredded cheese and broiled. And this was like that.

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 05:46:59 AM »
This is a so good a place to stick this as any.  DD has the HS swim team banquet on Thursday and we need to bring a main dish, but didn't want to do a pasta dish so I'm thinking I will do a large tray of these.

http://www.littledairyontheprairie.com/hot-ham-cheese-sliders-with-butter-mustard-and-poppy-seed-glaze/

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 09:26:44 AM »
Hezz - those are good, I did something very similar for DS's first birthday party.  I used Hawaiian rolls (don't remember what brand) and used dried minced onion instead of the onion powder.

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2019, 11:04:28 PM »
I love sandwiches.  But only hot sandwiches.

Sharing my current favorite: Not vegetarian friendly, contains dairy.  Probably modifiable for all other allergens if you can find safe products.  Note: I'm like half from Wisconsin at this point and love cheese.

Ingredients:
Sub Sandwich Rolls (my safe brand is regional)
Deli Sliced Roast Beef (I don't buy from the actual deli because that makes me nervous.  I use Land 'o' Frost Bistro Favorites natural roast beef - I like that the company supports PBS)
Thin sliced colby jack and Swiss cheese
Ranch dressing (I can use ones that have egg cross-contamination but no egg)
Pepper
Parmesan Cheese
French Fried Onions (I prefer Franks in the caramelized flavor, but whatever is safe is good.

Spread ranch dressing thinly on the bottom of the sub bun.  If you like a saucier sandwich, go for more thick.  Add fresh cracked pepper - I prefer a coarser grind.  Grate Parmesan over the top - I prefer a microplane because you get a fluffy grate.  Top with deli cut roast beef - I use four slices.  Top with one slice thin Swiss and one slice thin colby jack.  I break into two triangles to get the best coverage.  Top with French fried onions.  Add the top part of the bun, push down a bit and wrap in aluminum foil.  Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.  (I use a convection oven.)

Then eat it because it is freaking delicious.

If you can't find safe french fried onions, use something oniony for crunch and texture.  Maybe sour cream and onion potato chips?

Warning: This may not be as good to someone not on steroids.  But I LOVE it.

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2019, 03:57:27 AM »
Oh prednisone, I just made this sandwich again.  Out of sub buns, so I used one of the larger style burger buns.  Just as good.