login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Random Questions  (Read 3564 times)

Description:

Offline SilverLining

Random Questions
« on: February 03, 2019, 03:43:37 PM »
For those times you have a recipe/cooking/food question that does not fit anywhere else.

Offline SilverLining

Re: Random Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2019, 03:45:52 PM »
I have been thinking of using baby corns in some dinners. Not kernels but tiny cobs of corn.

I have seen them canned. Is that the only (best?) way to buy them? I’m not a big fan of canned veggies in general.

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2019, 03:55:14 PM »
I’ve never seen them any other way...only canned.

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2019, 04:04:36 PM »
We used to get them jarred which was tastier than canned.  None of the kids are fans and DH is meh, so I really haven't tried again in many years. 

I do tend to rinse and rerinse canned veggies.  With the exception of canned green beans which I adore - don't throw shoes at me. 
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2019, 06:41:19 PM »
I've only seen them alone canned or jarred, and I'm not a huge fan of them that way.  I like them when I cook from frozen, but I have only ever seen them that way in a stir fry veggie mix.

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2019, 06:44:14 PM »
What do you do with leftover gravy?  I know that sounds ridiculous to some people, but I cook a lot of whole cuts of meat and end up with a lot of extra gravy. 

I will eat it over toast sometimes for cheap country food, but I don't think that I could convince anyone aside from DS to do that.

I made a pork roast and the gravy is so, so good.  But I have maybe 3 times as much gravy as I have meat left right now.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2019, 07:17:18 PM »
Thanks for the answers. :)

As for left over gravy....

Beef gravy I would use for hot hamburger sandwiches. Or meat loaf or Shepard’s pie.

Pork gravy, maybe use on mashed potatoes with pork chops.

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 09:29:56 PM »
You could freeze the gravy for a future meal, where you don’t normally make a gravy. 

I’ve never cooked with the baby corns.  I remember being a very young child, maybe preschool years, and they had them on the relish trays at a party.  I ate them like a big ear of corn, and gave the family a laugh. 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2019, 05:59:27 AM »

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2019, 05:28:23 PM »
Fresh baby ears of corn...yummy!  Salads, stir fries, stews, cut up in soups.  I use canned only if fresh is not available.

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2019, 05:30:24 PM »
I freeze gravy in ice cube trays and then transfer to ziplock.  Great to toss into dinner when I don't have time to make gravy, great to toss into shepard's pie, etc....  And sometimes we thaw to put on baked potatoes.