FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Baby with a food allergy mom  (Read 1772 times)

Description:

Offline rysmom

Baby with a food allergy mom
« on: April 28, 2020, 09:13:23 AM »
Hello! It has been a LONG time since I posted!! Ry is now a mommy - shocker to some I know. Her baby is 4 months old. She is nursing only. At his 4 month check up last Friday the pediatrician told Ry about an additive she could give the baby in a pumped milk bottle to help protect him from food allergies called SpoonfulOne. Anyone heard of it or tried it?? Any input is welcome. Ry is allergic to peanuts, wheat, sesame, and corn. When she was young she was also allergic to beef, eggs, strawberries, all nuts and soy.
**If I remembered how to load a pic I would share one of them.
me -Latex, avocados, bananas,AND everything outside (at least the 56 things they tested me for) :(
Ry(19)- peanuts, Omnicef, PABA, wheat, corn, sesame. Outgrew eggs, soy, strawberries & tree nuts.

Dallas, TX area

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
Re: Baby with a food allergy mom
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 01:05:38 PM »
Hi rysmom, long time no see!  :bye:

Congrats to Ry on her baby!!  I haven’t done much research into the desensitizing type supplements for babies, but when I first heard about them my gut reaction was no way. Of course, that’s not based on anything scientific! I will say, I have severe FAs and EAs and have one kid with allergies worse than my own and one with relatively mild EAs and only SFA for food. I did everything the same for both of them as infants and still had very different outcomes.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2020, 01:26:17 PM »
Hi Rysmom, it’s good to see you!  Congratulations on the little one.

I’ve hear of it, but am 26 years removed from the infant stage!  I hope someone with more current knowledge can chime in. Do you have a local support group you can ask?

Good luck!
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2020, 06:46:31 PM »
Ry is a Mom and your a Grandma!!!!  That is so awesome!  Congratulations!  No idea about any supplements but so very glad to hear from you.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2020, 08:14:53 PM »
I have read there haven’t been enough studies to prove the effectiveness of these types of supplements. They came out shortly after the LEAP study and quickly became trendy. Many allergists don’t support them (though some do), and at least one company was pulled from the shelves for making false claims and having false advertising. I wonder if FARE or Allergic Living has more details. I read a good article about them once but cannot find it now, but those would be the likely sources.

I don’t think it can be harmful, but if it contains allergens of the mother, precautions would need to be taken to keep her safe from any of baby’s spit up, drool, etc. And even whilst breastfeeding.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2020, 05:16:48 AM »
I have not heard of that, so no real input there. I would share the same concern as Space said about mom and spit up and drool. But I want to offer congratulations to mom and grandma!  :heart:
USA

Offline rysmom

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2020, 08:36:12 AM »
Oh, I didn't think about his spit up containing her allergens. I will mention that to her. He is drooling like no tomorrow right now! Cutting his first tooth. She is still in school, studying astrophysics! She will be a senior in the fall then will start grad school. She is doing great and he is a sweet happy baby.
me -Latex, avocados, bananas,AND everything outside (at least the 56 things they tested me for) :(
Ry(19)- peanuts, Omnicef, PABA, wheat, corn, sesame. Outgrew eggs, soy, strawberries & tree nuts.

Dallas, TX area

Offline rysmom

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2020, 09:12:04 AM »
**posted pics in the photo thread :heart: :heart:

Dallas, TX area

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2020, 09:50:23 AM »
Great pictures!  You can always have her call her allergist and see what their opinion is.

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2020, 01:19:20 PM »
I didn't give either of my two kids anything I was contact sensitive to unless they were going to be with my Mom for over 24 hours in case of spit up.  My older one (5) occasionally eats those things now when he is at his grandparents house.

As for exposure for the kids, my allergist recommended giving them as many different foods as possible as soon as possible.  For nuts and peanuts, I mixed small amounts into oatmeal or baby cereal.  Eggs started out as chopped up hard boiled and fish/shellfish was chopped fake crab sticks.

That being said, all of my food allergies are adult-onset, so more atypical, so who knows if any of it mattered anyway.