FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Would leaves have allergen?  (Read 3637 times)

Description:

Offline SilverLining

Would leaves have allergen?
« on: May 21, 2019, 03:51:37 PM »
https://returntonow.net/2019/03/25/grocery-chain-replaces-plastic-produce-packaging-with-banana-leaves/?fbclid=IwAR2oz8-Gad57ilzhYq53rxf-I8vI9get1wxv2FbWuiHLeHQXe4PifterRqg

A supermarket chain in Chiangmai, Thailand, is doing its part to stem the tide of single-use plastics flooding into the ocean.

While most supermarkets bundle their strawberries in plastic boxes, their corn in plastic shrink wrap and their mushrooms in plastic produce bags, this grocer has come up with an innovative, eco-friendly solution.

Would this be a risk to people with an allergy to banana?

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
Re: Would leaves have allergen?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 04:31:57 PM »
Interesting question.  My first thought without doing any research would be no.  I could see it being problematic more so for those allergic to pollen from the particular plant (do banana plants have pollen that people are allergic to?) or even those allergic to mold that grows on the leaves.  I do, however, assume that anyone highly sensitive to bananas would want to avoid banana leaves and might avoid many fruits and vegetables from markets where they could have come into contact with bananas, anyway, if washing wasn't enough to prevent cross-contact reactions.

Trying to think about my own allergies... I am extremely allergic to grass - as in systemic reaction requiring epi to grass SPT.  If I dropped a piece of fruit on the grass would I eat it after washing?  Most likely.  If I got something wrapped in peanut plant leaves, though, I don't think I'd touch it with a ten-foot pole.  I can't explain my reasoning.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 06:19:33 PM »
My thoughts echo Rebekah here.  As another example: people with tree nut allergies can safely be around and eat off of walnut wood products or flooring, but I would never have it in my house just for the eerie closeness.  Or how people with egg allergy can eat chicken.  They are very different products.  Whilst some cross reactivity might happen, I think it would be low risk in general.

I am far more concerned about printer paper and paper plates made from wheat, cling wrap made from milk, biodegradable bags made from corn, and goodness knows what else other places are creating that aren't required to be labelled as containing major allergens.  (I know corn isn't a priority allergen.)  Give me all the banana leaf packaging!
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

jill

banana leave allergy
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2020, 01:13:47 PM »
Could you be allergic to furniture made with banana leaves even if they are coated witha shellac? WE have a headboard which my husband mystically gets a hive, or bit or something every other month on his hand only.  We find no insects in the house, but he sleeps with his hand up against the headboard and we are wondering if he is allergic to it in some way.  He has actually dev cellulitis from it. we think its possible a leaf fray (which we dont see any) may have pricked him while he moves it at night and he then gets a hive from it???anyone know of any problems with furniture made of these leaves?

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2020, 01:31:49 PM »
I doubt it’s an allergy if it’s just one hive every other month or so. If he sleeps with his hand against the headboard every night it would seem the reaction should happen every night. It could be that there’s a rough spot he only hits occasionally and that’s causing some type of irritation. That could be the banana leaves, the shellac, dust, pollen, etc. getting in the skin due to a scratch from a rough spot.  Since it’s so infrequent, there’s probably no real way to know the cause. Maybe try putting a small pillow or something between his hand and the headboard to prevent the problem.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.