login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: huge life changes?!  (Read 9370 times)

Description:

Offline scarlet9904

huge life changes?!
« on: August 01, 2019, 01:11:28 PM »
so i got contacted by my allergy doctor a week ago about telling me wheat, corn, oats, peanut, soy, crab, tomato, carrot, orange, potato, strawberry, apple, all forms of alcohol along with massive pollen and latex allergies which some of the cross reactions for those i react to (banana almond avocado all citrus alot of raw fruits and veggies once cooked they tend to be fine and peppers i have major issues with) does anyone have any like recipe ideas or even ideas on how to handle such a massive change (only things i knew to avoid cause they would cause they would kill me were peanut orange strawberry and alcohol)

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
Re: huge life changes?!
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 02:39:58 PM »
I'm sorry to hear you may have so many allergies!  Do you actually have reactions to all those things?  Allergy testing is not very accurate for positives results, so usually doctors combine testing with reaction history to determine which (if any) are false positive results.  From there they will do in office food challenges to confirm the true allergens.  I am unaware of any test for alcohol - which testing did you have?  Was it done by a board certified MD allergist or some other type of doctor?

I think if you really do need to avoid all those foods, you'll need to work closely with a dietitian and your doctor to make sure you're not malnourished.  My son had a list similar to yours when he was younger and it was almost impossible to feed him.  Especially with a corn allergy because almost everything that comes in a package has corn in it.  He ate a lot of single-ingredient foods and rice was pretty much the only grain/starch he could have.  When he was 4 he told his doctor his favorite meal was baked chicken, steamed rice and steamed broccoli.  She looked at me like I had coached him to say something healthy, but it was literally one of the few meals he could safely eat.

If you list things you like to eat or recipes you need to modify, I'm sure we can come up with some things you can try making.

Here's a recipe my daughter made the other night that I think would be okay for your allergens - as with any recipe you'll need to double check the safety for yourself:
Bake a chicken breast with salt and pepper (or spices of your choosing) and cut into bite sized pieces
saute zucchini noodles for about 5 minutes in a bit of olive oil.  Add cooked chicken, garlic, a bit of cream cheese and crushed red pepper flakes (leave out or substitute another seasoning you like) to the zucchini noodles and heat through until the cream cheese melts. 

You'll have to read the ingredients on your spices and make sure they don't have starch (that could be wheat/corn/potato) and also avoid iodized salt because it contains corn. Corn does not have to be on the ingredient list and can be listed under many different names, also.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 02:51:40 PM by rebekahc »
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline scarlet9904

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2019, 02:51:09 PM »
the alcohol was found from anaphylaxis(to everything from drinking when i was accidently served the wrong drink to topical when they did ivs on me and my throat started swelling shut and to furmenting fruit when i had the same reaction) reactions most the allergens i came back possitive on i have had reactions to but the allergist is going on the safe side no matter what because I'm chronically I'll with about 12 other medical conditions so he's having me avoid them. I'm avoiding them all I've started subbing pastas with zuchinni yellow squash and cucumbers cooked together ive found a 2 ingredient flat bread to make and some rice only tortillas I'm label reading it all and I've found sprouts has the most things that are safe to eat with the allergens they are also still waiting to see if i come back positive for mast cell activiation

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 03:16:17 PM »
I edited my post above to include a recipe I thought about for you.  If you look in the Other Allergens section of our forum you'll find a few threads about corn allergy.  That is by far the most difficult to avoid since it does not have to be on labels.  For example, all Kimberly Clark products contain corn.  All Libby's canned fruit contains corn because they dust the inside of the cans with corn starch before filling them.  Corn derived plastic utensils are becoming more common.  On the shiny paper plates, that shine can be from corn oil.

Sometimes once you start completely avoiding anything that you react to, it gives your system a chance to calm down and you may become able to tolerate some foods again.  I hope that's the case for you and that a strict elimination diet can help! 

My son also had a lot of other medical conditions and it was so hard trying to keep him healthy nutrition-wise.  I'm not sure if you would be a candidate for Xolair, but my son was able to take it and it helped him tremendously.  For a while as a teenager he wasn't able to take it due to insurance and eventually became sicker and sicker.  He's 22 now and we were finally able to get him back on Xolair a few years ago.  He's finally starting to feel better again.

Here's a post I made years ago about Xolair
https://foodallergysupport.olicentral.com/index.php/topic,4269.msg15641.html#msg15641

Eight years later, DS now sees the doctor in Fort Worth I mention in my post and Xolair treatment has been approved for more than just asthma, now.  Unfortunately, the allergy-free bliss of that post didn't last.  Many of the food and environmental allergies came back and we added milk as a problem.  Now that he's been back on Xolair, though, he can tolerate many of the foods again and even some milk.  Peanuts and tree nuts are still off the table, though.  He's not perfect, but much better than he was a couple of years ago!
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2019, 09:20:22 PM »
I agree that meeting with a dietician would be a good place to start, to ensure you don't become deficient in anything critical.  Finding a safe multivitamin may be helpful, too. 

Rice and legumes (beans, lentils) with some steamed vegetables are a staple in our house, and look like they may meet your needs.  Also, Tinkyada rice pasta might be a nice option, or Lotus Foods brand rice ramen noodles.  What about milk, eggs, fish, poultry, or red meat?  You could make sushi, roasted mushrooms, salads, sweet potatoes (sweet potatoes aren't related to potato and I'm okay with them, but your experience may vary), omelettes, rice pudding, etc.  It takes a while to process a list of what you CAN have and come up with meal ideas that actually fit within those parameters, but it can be done.  Having a list of safe ingredients and some other people to help think of new recipes can be helpful.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline scarlet9904

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2019, 08:07:39 AM »
yeah my dad's ordered in a bunch of cooking with allergy books we have figured subbing other flowers wed use rice flax and coconut flours
i had to find safe vitamin d and b 12 cause I've been low in those for years i can eat meats (other then crab) fine so i do keep those the same most veggies i can eat as long as they are cooked so i can still eat most of them but the cook books seem to have some options

Offline Astyas

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2019, 07:01:12 PM »
Oh man! That’s really rough!! Kudos to you for having such a good attitude!!!

Maybe since so many carbs are an issue you can look into keto and paleo recipes for inspiration?? Thing that doing to mind right away are

Moo goo gai pan- it uses a white sauce and you can add or subtract any veggies you like. Is there a soy free soy sauce that might work for you???

This is a great recipe [size=78%]http://www.joyouslydomestic.com/2013/05/slow-cooker-roasted-herb-chicken-with.html[/size]  You could skip the gravy and use it for a soup base or make it and whatever potato substitute you like

https://damndelicious.net/2016/06/04/chicken-pesto-kabobs/  Skip the tomatoes and sub in mushrooms or whatever else you feel like!

https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a49669/garlic-parmesan-chicken-brussels-sprouts-recipe/  Skip the breadcrumbs and switch to chicken thighs even!

https://onceamonthmeals.com/recipes/simple-slow-cooker-pork-chops-and-brussel-sprouts/ swap out the carrots for parsnips or turnips or skip it all together and add more Brussels sprouts!

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/herb-roasted-turkey-breast-recipe-1943552  Drop the wine and use broth or even a fruit juice with a little vinegar

https://iowagirleats.com/2014/12/17/swiss-pan-burgers-with-rosemary-mushroom-pan-sauce/  Who needs buns when you have pan sauce????!

All in all I think you still have lots of options out there and can find lots of tasty foods once you get going and find what works for you!!

And like I could obviously! be totally wrong but it sounds like a lot of your allergens are in the same food family so there could be a few... ambitious results?? I’m assuming this was blood testing yeah?? So you might have a liiiiiiiitttle more wiggle room than you expect! Like obviously don’t hang out at the Carbs Are Us! table!!! But see how things go with an elimination diet if you feel up to it :)