login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Chobani  (Read 8292 times)

Description: Nut butter xcontamination

Offline tigerlily

Chobani
« on: September 20, 2019, 08:41:25 PM »
I hadn't seen the nut butter products before. i thought I emailed before but revisited after this product. The response:

Yes, our Blended Low-Fat (2% milk-fat) Chobani® Greek Yogurt with Nut Butters may share production lines with our other products.

Although our Chobani® Greek Yogurt with Nut Butters products are produced on the same lines as our Chobani® yogurts, we ensure proper cleaning after each run, drastically minimizing the potential for cross-contact. The FDA requires this kind of label when it relates to a potential allergen, such as nuts. Being transparent with consumers about everything that goes into our products (and what doesn’t!) is important to us.

Community Loyalty Team
------
Perhaps he's had product since it became mixed. Doesn't ensure from future exposures. Not the allergen labeling I'm typically comfortable with nor purchase with that type of statement.
And also my reading of the "FDA requires a cross-contact label" statement a bit bizarre. I searched DS favorite flavors and there isn't a xcont statement. I'll check into more products on the shelf.
DS1-PA, TNA, SFA
DS2-NKA

Online spacecanada

Re: Chobani
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2019, 11:31:52 PM »
The FDA sentence doesn’t make sense. They only have to label if it an ingredient, and it doesn’t sound like they would label for shared lines.

Many milk/dairy products are being run on undeclared lines with nuts and soy these days. It is scary.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline tigerlily

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2019, 10:52:28 AM »
Glad the FDA sentence was odd to you too. Really tired of proliferation of all the 'healthy' nut options.

Sorry for posting under general--it's more a Product thing.
DS1-PA, TNA, SFA
DS2-NKA

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2019, 06:31:41 AM »
Figures, I just found their low sugar Greek yogurt.  Back to the drawing board I guess.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2019, 10:25:32 AM »
Yup, just spoke with them. The 32 oz. size of plain is on separate equipment. Everything else is on shared lines.  8 hour cleaning process, blah blah blah.  :tongue:

DS loves their yogurt. Or did.  B@stards.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2019, 03:25:33 PM »
Hello Going Nuts,

Thank you for reaching out to us. We've been on a mission since day one to provide better food for more people. Chobani® Flip® variety is produced solely in Idaho. Some of the dry ingredients we use in those lines contain one or more of the eight major food allergens. This includes tree nuts, peanuts, wheat and soy. In our Idaho facility we have the capability of containing these ingredients in a way that allows for no cross-contamination with the rest of our products.

Our Chobani® Greek Yogurt with Nut Butters products include FDA-compliant labels indicating that they contain tree nuts and may contain trace amounts of other tree nuts. We ensure proper cleaning after each production run, drastically minimizing the potential for cross-contact.

It may be helpful to note, Chobani Gimmies Tubes, Chobani Gimmies Pouches, and Chobani Drink flavors are all produced on lines not shared with any of our other products due to their unique packaging needs.

That said, we recommend you consult your physician and avoid any products that may be of additional concern. We do hear your concerns and have shared them with the appropriate members of our Chobani team.

Best,
Amanda
N.E. US

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2019, 05:05:40 PM »
Too bad they didn’t put the nut butters in the factory with the flip flavors.

I sent an email to the Snack Safely people asking them to investigate yogurt brands...I’m sure nothing will come of it.  I also looked up how to make yogurt and Greek yogurt today.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 05:07:32 PM by hezzier »

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2019, 07:06:09 AM »
I noticed Oikos has a nut butter blended flavor as well. Bugger.
N.E. US